August 30, 2015


Latest News

Bombers lose Muamba to NFL

The nightmare that was the 2013 Winnipeg Blue Bombers season has quickly extended into the off-season as the Bombers front office continues to fire blanks in its bid to make off-season improvements.

After failing twice in the past week to land a starting quarterback, the Bombers announced this morning that they have now lost their most valuable player, linebacker Henoc Muamba.

The Bombers announced Wednesday morning that Henoc Muamba -- Winnipeg’s oustanding player nominee and the top Canadian in the CFL’s East Division in 2013 -- has been released so that he can pursue NFL opportunities.

KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

The Bombers announced Wednesday morning that Henoc Muamba -- Winnipeg’s oustanding player nominee and the top Canadian in the CFL’s East Division in 2013 -- has been released so that he can pursue NFL opportunities. Photo Store

The club says that Muamba -- Winnipeg’s outstanding player nominee and the top Canadian in the CFL’s East Division in 2013 -- has been released so he can pursue NFL opportunities.

"Henoc is a great player, and an even better person. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers wish him the best in his pursuit of employment in the National Football League, and sincerely thank him for his contributions, both on and off the field, with our organization," Bombers GM Kyle Walters said in a statement released by the team this morning.

Muamba has had numerous NFL workouts over the off-season -- as many as 10 by one estimate -- and most recently worked out with the Baltimore Ravens.

Muamba -- the first overall pick in the 2011 CFL entry draft -- played all 18 regular season games for the Bombers in 2013 and was one of the lone bright spots in an otherwise miserable 3-15 campaign. His 106 defensive tackles in 2013 were second overall in the CFL and his Canadian passport at the middle linebacker position made him a coveted ratio-changer.

He was the CFL’s East Division nominee as the league’s top Canadian in 2013, but lost to West Division nominee Jon Cornish of the Calgary Stampeders.

Walters said at the end of the 2013 season that his two top priorities this winter were to re-sign Muamba before he became a free agent, which would have happened on Feb. 11, and to land an experienced quarterback to be the team’s starter in 2014.

Quarterback Zach Collaros rebuffed an offer from Winnipeg last week to sign instead with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, while QB Henry Burris spurned the Bombers on Tuesday to sign instead with an expansion franchise in Ottawa that has yet to even play a game.

Add today’s loss of Muamba and, as hard as it is to believe, the Bombers are actually worse off now than when they wrapped up the 2013 season with just three wins, having now also lost their leader on defence to go along with the continuing void in that department on offence.

History

Updated on Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM CST: Changes headline

3:40 PM: Writethru.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more

Top