Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 23/4/2013 (1251 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
BRANDON -- A Brandon teen has pleaded guilty to threatening a younger girl via Facebook.
The offender made the threat while chatting with the victim on the social networking website, Crown attorney Garry Rainnie told court.
"In the course of that Facebook chat, (she) threatened to put an eight-inch blade into the head of the victim," Rainnie said as the teen pleaded guilty on Monday to uttering threats.
The girl who made the threat was 17 years old at the time and the victim was 14.
The Facebook chat happened on Jan. 2, and the victim made a report to police the next day.
The girl who made the threat also pleaded guilty on Monday to seven unrelated counts of breach of probation and to one count of failing to attend court.
Sentencing has been set for June to allow preparation of a pre-sentence report.
Other than Rainnie’s brief description of the threat, no details were shared in court. More details may emerge on her sentencing date.
Police previously indicated that the threat was made during a dispute over property, although the type of property wasn’t specified.
Rainnie and defence lawyer Philip Sieklicki didn’t indicate the sentences they’ll seek for the girl.
However, Judge Shauna Hewitt-Michta noted that a request by lawyers for a pre-sentence report suggests that jail time is a possibility.
This offender is one of two city girls who got in trouble this year over Facebook threats.
Last month, in an unrelated case, Judge John Combs banned a 12-year-old girl from Facebook for a year as part of probation for uttering threats.
In a Facebook post, she wrote that she wanted to strangle two girls. The offender and victims had been involved in a dispute over a boy.
The girl who made the threatening post claimed that the victims had spread lies about her.
- Brandon Sun