August 30, 2015


Latest News

Emterra submits draft plan on timely garbage collection

Emterra has submitted a plan to the City of Winnipeg which details how it will pick up garbage and recycling on time.

City solid waste manager Darryl Drohomerski said the waste collector submitted a draft plan on Friday, which includes things such as street level supervision to confirm collections have been completed. Drohomerski said the contractor collects garbage and recycling from about 38,000 homes every day, and has only missed a small number of homes and back lanes, relatively speaking.

John Orlikow

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS ARCHIVES

John Orlikow Photo Store

He expects Emterra will catch up with yard waste collection by tomorrow, and be on time with Wednesday, Thursday and Friday collections. If not, Drohomerski said Winnipeg will review options to ensure residents get their garbage and recycling picked up on time.

Since the changeover on Oct. 1, Drohomerski said about 100 homes have not had any collection. He said these homes are mostly located south of the floodway, and were accidentally excluded from the collection route.

Earlier today River Heights-Fort Garry Coun. John Orlikow said he is upset to hear the city's claim that Emterra is now on schedule, when in fact his own street has not been serviced this week.

On Sunday the city said Emterra had essentially caught up on its routes.

"I don't know what they're doing. They say they've picked up all the waste, while I know they haven't," said Orlikow, who ran a residential recycling company in the 1990s.

"To say it's ok they're missing garbage pickups because it's growing pains, I don't think that's OK. I didn't have a grace period when I was in recycling," he said.

Last week, St. Vital Coun. Brian Mayes also criticized the city for issuing positive messages about garbage and recycling pickup at a time when many residents remain upset about the uneven start to Emterra's contract.

Emterra began collecting garbage and recycling from residential homes in southwest, southeast and northeast Winnipeg on Oct. 1. The company started collecting from former autobin areas on Aug. 1. Another company, BFI, has the contract for the rest of the northwest Winnipeg.

History

Updated on Monday, October 15, 2012 at 10:17 AM CDT: Typo fixed

3:28 PM: Adds information from the 2:30 press conference.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more

Top