August 29, 2015


Latest News

City committee approves public hearings on closing streets near proposed Walmart mall

North Kildonan councillor Jeff Browaty left a civic committee this morning with assurances that two streets in his ward will be closed to prevent their use as access to a proposed shopping mall in neighbouring East St. Paul.

The property and development committee accepted Browaty’s recommendation to hold public hearings to close Gateway Road and Raleigh Streets – two residential streets in North Kildonan that a Toronto-area developer wants to use as access to a new Walmart shopping mall on the city’s doorstep in East St. Paul.

Coun. Jeff Browaty left a civic committee this morning with assurances that two streets in his ward will be closed to prevent their use as access to a proposed shopping mall in neighbouring East St. Paul.

WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Coun. Jeff Browaty left a civic committee this morning with assurances that two streets in his ward will be closed to prevent their use as access to a proposed shopping mall in neighbouring East St. Paul. Photo Store

The proposed development has drawn strong opposition from North Kildonan residents and from East St. Paul residents who live inside the Perimeter and adjacent to the proposed mall; both groups fear the development would lead to increased traffic on nearby residential streets.

A public hearing on the Walmart project was held last month in Selkirk, but no decision has been made on whether to proceed with it.

Browaty said he would support the shopping mall if the developers were allowed to build an access road off the Perimeter Highway, but added the province so far refuses to do that.

The call for public hearings still must be approved by city council.

Raleigh will remain open, Browaty said, as long the mall project does not go ahead. However, he added city officials can block both streets for up to a year without a public hearing if the mall project is fast-tracked before the public hearing process is completed.

Browaty said plans will likely call for the streets to be blocked by mid-June 2015.

 

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

 

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more

Top