Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 02/18/2013 7:54 PM | Comments: 0
There will be no more boos at the zoo.
The Assiniboine Park Conservancy confirmed the one-time popular Halloween event, Boo at the Zoo, will not be returning for an 18th season.
Lorne Perrin, vice-president of park services, said a combination of factors led the conservancy to cancel the event.
Perrin said the event was moved to the zoo’s south end last year as a result of the construction for the Arctic-themed Journey to Churchill exhibit.
It cost more to stage the event at the south end, Perrin said, because of a lack of infrastructure and amenities. In addition, he said the early winter weather in late October was blamed for a serious drop in attendance — 18,000 fewer people than the year before.
With the increased costs going forward and weather-dependent attendance, Perrin said the decision was made to redirect the resources to an education-related event linked to the Journey to Churchill exhibit, which is set to open in 2014.
The conservancy made the decision to cancel the Halloween event in the third week of January, Perrin said, adding the zoo’s partners have since been notified.
Perrin said there is no chance Boo at the Zoo will be returning, adding however conservancy staff are still considering options for its replacement.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Two killed in avalanche near Lake Louise
Stoughton comes up short at Brier
Hazmat team called to Ottawa hotel
Sifuentes wins bronze at world track event
Jets fall to Sens
Clocks spring forward this Sunday
Two charged after taxi damaged, driver robbed
Confusion over water pipe wait
STARS to fly in emergencies
Railways face big fines
Closing the gender gap in Manitoba
Happy birthday and goodbye
A journey of many footsteps