Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Constables lacking on First Nations

  • Print

By Mia Rabson

OTTAWA — More than a third of northern Manitoba First Nations have no provincially certified special band constables, the Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak reported Wednesday.

Twenty-seven of the MKO’s 30 reserves responded to a survey about policing and 11 reported not having a single provincially certified band constable in their community.

The issue was highlighted last week when Northlands Denesuline First Nation made public photos of band members who had been detained in a hockey arena with handcuffs and a tow chain. The First Nation, 350 kilometres northwest of Thompson, lost its access to the RCMP holding cell on the reserve when two certified band constables quit in June. When the RCMP are not in the community, Northlands has no sanctioned way to hold people who break the law.

Four times since June the reserve has detained intoxicated people in a dressing room in the arena.

A spokesman for MKO said Grand Chief David Harper will meet with Manitoba Justice Minister Andrew Swan to discuss the situation.

MKO wants funding for band constables to become part of the Police Service Agreement between Manitoba and Ottawa. The agreement requires Manitoba to fund 70 per cent of the police services in Manitoba while Ottawa funds the remaining 30 per cent.

Last week, Swan and federal Public Safety Minister Vic Toews blamed each other for the problem with policing in Northlands.

The MKO spokesman said it’s clear there is a need for band constables. The survey found there is an average of 1,057 police calls each year, or about three per day on the reserves. As well, band constables detained people an average of 389 times in each community, or more than one detention a day.

MKO is seeking a meeting with Toews in Ottawa next week.

mia.rabson@freepress.mb.ca

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Jets' coach discusses team's loss to Red Wings

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • An American White Pelican takes flight from the banks of the Red River in Lockport, MB. A group of pelicans is referred to as a ‘pod’ and the American White Pelican is the only pelican species to have a horn on its bill. May 16, 2012. SARAH O. SWENSON / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Korea Veterans Association stained glass window at Deer Lodge Centre. Dedication with Minister of Veterans Affairs Dr. Rey Pagtakhan. March 12, 2003.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Would you visit Dalnavert Museum if it reopened?

View Results

Ads by Google