Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 16/11/2011 (1716 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
City council approved Winnipeg's new transportation master plan.
The planning blueprint is intended to give developers and residents an idea about the location of future transportation routes. It calls for the major road improvements over the next 20 years, including widening Kenaston between Ness and Taylor by 2016, and extending the Chief Peguis Trail from Main to McPhillips Street by 2021.
Earlier this week, the plan was amended after Fort Rouge Coun. Jenny Gerbasi said the plan should contain timelines for rapid transit corridors. She said deadlines will set a goal and give the city the push it needs to find the funding from other levels of government.
The first phase of the southwest rapid transit corridor ends at Jubilee Avenue near Pembina Highway, and will be complete by next year.
Gerbasi said Winnipeg should aim to finish the second phase that connects to Bison Drive near the University of Manitoba by 2016.
Public works chairman Coun. Dan Vandal (St. Boniface) and Coun. Devi Sharma (Old Kildonan) voted in favour of Gerbasi’s amendment.
The move prompted council to approve an unexpected additional transit fare hike in 2012 to pay for the southwest rapid transit corridor.
Council was set to consider a five cent fare hike. Transit fares are now set to increase by five cents on Jan. 1 and an additional 20 cents on June 1.