Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 8/3/2013 (1366 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Crown is seeking 18 months in jail for a Winnipeg man involved in a high-speed drunk-driving crash which seriously injured him and two friends.
Shane Dranez pleaded not guilty at the start of his trial, claiming the Crown couldn’t prove he was behind the wheel at the time of the June 2009 incident. But Queen’s Bench Justice Lori Spivak disagreed, ruling late last year Dranez was guilty of several charges, including driving impaired causing bodily harm, driving over the legal limit and driving while disqualified.
Dranez returned to court Friday for sentencing, where the Crown said a substantial period behind bars is needed to send a message that society condemns such crime. Dranez is seeking just 12 months in custody. Spivak has reserved her decision until next month.
There were several key pieces of evidence against Dranez, including testimony from his two friends, who said he was responsible. The two men suffered injuries to their ribs, chest and arms and had to crawl out the windows of the crumpled 1996 Chevrolet Camaro, court was told. Both were wearing seatbelts and denied being the driver.
Police also found shoes belonging to Dranez at the pedals of the vehicle, along with a barefoot Dranez nearly 30 metres away after being ejected upon impact with a power pole. He was not buckled in and was fortunate to escape grave injuries.
Police experts said Dranez was likely travelling up to 140 kilometres per hour at the time of the crash on King Edward Street. Blood taken from the scene and later analyzed shows Dranez was nearly triple the legal limit.
He is expected to be sentenced in March. He remains free on bail.
Court heard Dranez and his two friends had spent the evening drinking at a house party, then went to a strip bar where Dranez got into a fight with another patron and got kicked out. He then drove away, with his two friends in the car, at high speed.