Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Doctor charged with sexually assaulting teen at HSC

  • Print

A Winnipeg doctor has been convicted of sexually assaulting a teen patient inside the Children’s Hospital.

Walid Abdelhamid, 32, will be sentenced later this year after learning his fate on Friday. Abdelhamid was working at Health Sciences Centre in 2009 when he twice assaulted the then-15-year-old boy, who had suffered a serious back injury while riding a motorbike.

The now-18-year-old told court during the trial he awoke twice in the middle of the night to find Abdelhamid fondling him. Both incidents occurred when he was immobilized and being dosed with morphine for pain.

A videotaped police interview was taken in his hospital room hours after the alleged attacks. A copy of the statement was played in court and shows the boy in obvious physical discomfort hooked up to tubes as he awaits surgery.

"At first I was thinking it was like normal and he was checking something," he told police in the statement.

A key issue at trial was the youth’s state of mind as a result of being medicated. Defence lawyer Marty Minuk repeatedly suggested the young man may have been too high to comprehend what happened. But he denied that was the case, saying he knew exactly what was going on.

The first incident happened around 2 a.m., according to the teen. He said he awoke to find Abdelhamid hovering over him, touching his genitals.

"The whole time I was pretending to sleep," he told police in the interview played in court. The incident only lasted a few seconds before a nurse walked in and Abdelhamid quickly pulled his hands back and left the room. "I felt scared and just wanted to forget about it," he explained when asked by police whether he told anyone what had happened.

The teen said he woke up again around 5 a.m. — there was a clock next to his bed — to find Abdelhamid had returned and was now attempting to perform oral sex on him.

"I told him to stop, asked him what he was doing," he said. Abdelhamid allegedly fled again, and this time the teen rang the buzzer to summon a nurse and disclose what had just happened. His parents were also notified and police were called in immediately.

Abdelhamid was released on bail following his arrest only to flee the country and end up in Greece. He was arrested and deported back to Canada in May 2011 and has remained in custody since.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because it involves young offenders or minors.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Have a Cheapskate Halloween

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY
  • A golfer looks for his ball in a water trap at John Blumberg Golf Course Friday afternoon as geese and goslings run for safety- See Joe Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge- Day 24– June 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


What's your favourite Halloween treat to hand out?

View Results

Ads by Google