Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 07/31/2013 3:35 PM | Comments: 0
Parents of a toddler left brain-damaged after a STARS ambulance flight have filed a lawsuit against the STARS service and one of the doctors who treated the boy.
Morgan Moar-Campbell, 2, was flown from Brandon to Winnipeg aboard a STARS helicopter ambulance May 2 for tests following a seizure.
Doctors at the Brandon Regional Health Centre put Morgan into an induced coma, which meant he couldn't breathe on his own, requiring the insertion of a breathing tube. That tube was discovered pulled out after the helicopter landed in Winnipeg.
The child suffered irreparable brain damage. His parents were told their son was deprived of oxygen for 30 minutes and the only part of his brain still working is the brain stem, which regulates basic functions like breathing.
In a statement of claim filed Wednesday in the Court of Queen's Bench, the boy's parents, Emily Moar and Blair Campbell, say the tube's dislodgement went unnoticed by the ambulance service’s nurse, and their son was left unattended during part of the flight.
The allegations have not been proven in court. A statement of defence has yet to be filed.
Manitoba Health opened a critical-incident investigation into the case after the incident became public.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Artifacts from First World War passed down through generations
Taiwan's pipeline probe focuses on petrochem firm
19-year-old missing person case solved
Branching out: Tree climbers gear up to enjoy Winnipeg's vast urban forest
The light touch: Traffic signals improving, but still lots of work to do
Police mum on standoff death
SNAFU rugby tournament an August tradition — and there's no telling what goes on