Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 01/21/2013 6:01 PM | Comments: 0
OTTAWA — For the second time the federal government is appealing a court decision requiring it to fully consult with Treaty One First Nations in Manitoba before selling the Kapyong Barracks site.
A spokeswoman for the Defence Department said the government filed its appeal late Friday afternoon.
"The main grounds for appeal are that the Federal Court judge made errors in law with respect to what he ordered and his analysis of the duty to consult," said Kathleen Guillot.
This will indefinitely extend the legal battle over the 160 acres of prime real estate at Kenaston Boulevard and Grant Avenue, which has now lasted more than five years.
Jeff Rath, the lawyer for Peguis First Nation, one of the Treaty One bands, said he was surprised Ottawa is appealing because he says in court the government admitted it did have a duty to consult the First Nations on the sale of Kapyong, at least when it came to Peguis. He said the government’s argument is that it fulfilled that duty, but the judge in the case disagreed.
"To me it just seems the Crown is simply trying to delay the inevitable," said Rath.
In 2004, the Princess Patricia Light Infantry Unit abandoned the barracks to move west to Shilo, Man. Three years later, the federal government declared the barracks land surplus and moved to sell it to the Canada Lands Company for $8.6 million. CLC, a Crown corporation that redevelops surplus federal land, planned a mix of homes and businesses on the site.
But the seven Treaty One First Nations argue a 1997 agreement gave them the right of first refusal when surplus federal land become available, to fulfill outstanding land entitlements from the 1871 Treaty One. Shortly after Ottawa moved to sell the land, the seven Treaty One First Nations went to court to stop it.
The land in question is only the 160 acres of the barracks themselves, and does not include the military homes surrounding the barracks. That parcel is to be dealt with separately.
In 2009, a Federal Court judge ordered Ottawa to freeze any sale of the land until consultations were undertaken with the bands. That decision was rescinded on appeal in 2011 and the case was returned to the lower court for another hearing. A second federal judge last month again ordered Ottawa to consult with the First Nations, this time four of the seven.
Ottawa is now appealing that second decision.
Since 2005, taxpayers have spent $14.7 million on the empty barracks, including for utilities, operations and maintenance, property taxes, site security and site management. Several hundred thousand dollars have also been spent by Ottawa on legal fees.
Treaty One First Nations want to develop the site to generate income for their bands, and have said they would be open to ideas that work for both the city and the First Nations.
In December, a high-placed Conservative government source told the Free Press the government was open to selling the land to the First Nations but only on the condition the land not to be turned into an urban reserve.
No date is yet set to argue the appeal.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
More than 300 drivers caught speeding in school zones
Bombers trade Suber for Argos defensive lineman
Canada-NATO search for spending compromise
Former Bombers QB Max Hall arrested
Harper on Sotloff: 'barbaric, unacceptable'
Deadly drunk driver wants sentence reduced
Jets sign first-round draft pick
Public school strike in B.C. derails school year
Man dies after vehicle rolls into water-filled ditch
In light of celebrity hacks, how to protect data
Wasylycia-Leis unveils four key pledges, but not all details
Havixbeck would phase out malathion for biodegradable pesticide
Sanders promises to 'turn over all the rocks at city hall,' engage citizens
Lawyer says family of girl with Uzi is devastated
Alleged pool peeper deemed mentally fit
Steeves takes aim at Wasylycia-Leis
Bowman pledges to finish rapid transit if elected
Apple: Some nude shots taken from stars' accounts
Ukrainian troops routed as Russia talks tough
Video purports to show beheading of US journalist
US strike targets leader of Somali extremist group
Public to get look at six options for Lake Manitoba outlet
Rehearsals begin for Rob Ford musical
Rockin' CEO to speak/play at news cafe
Sex assault on teen earns handyman 3 1/2 year sentence
Larry David play heads to Broadway this February
Bieber charged with assault in ATV crash
Bombers adding three board members
Accused in Halifax beating death fires lawyer
Police looking for two missing girls
Toronto-area cyclist killed near Brandon
The Forks ushers in new era
Weather forecast holds a mixed bag for back-to-school students
Two teens arrested after truck stolen
32 teens escape from Nashville detention centre
Detroit's historic bankruptcy trial begins
CUCM CEO announces retirement
Take Duffy case to independent office: NDP
Dallas Smith to play Club Regent Jan. 31
New fines coming for speeding past emergency vehicles