Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/10/2013 (1277 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Fire damaged the former Gio's Club and Bar in downtown Winnipeg Saturday morning.
Firefighters responded at about 7:15 am to the scene at Smith Street and York Avenue. The fire was out and streets were open again by 8:40 a.m.
Cause of the fire has not yet been declared but a neighbour said kids were frequently breaking into the back of the closed night club and partying. Police were regularly at the site chasing the youths away.
Gio's was one of North America's longest-operating gay-lesbian-bisexual-transexual community-owned pubs. It closed in February 2013 after 31 years of continuous operation.
The charred interior was visible from the street through an open door and shattered windows. One passerby was spotted taking photos with his cellphone.