Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 10/26/2013 9:08 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 10/26/2013 10:11 AM | Updates
Fire damaged the former Gio's Club and Bar in downtown Winnipeg Saturday morning.
Firefighters responded at about 7:15 am to the scene at Smith Street and York Avenue. The fire was out and streets were open again by 8:40 a.m.
Cause of the fire has not yet been declared but a neighbour said kids were frequently breaking into the back of the closed night club and partying. Police were regularly at the site chasing the youths away.
Gio's was one of North America's longest-operating gay-lesbian-bisexual-transexual community-owned pubs. It closed in February 2013 after 31 years of continuous operation.
The charred interior was visible from the street through an open door and shattered windows. One passerby was spotted taking photos with his cellphone.
Updated on Saturday, October 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM CDT: Fire put out
9:27 AM: fix headline
10:03 AM: story update, new headline
10:07 AM: add photo
10:11 AM: new photo
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Two charged after taxi damaged, driver robbed
Confusion over water pipe wait
STARS to fly in emergencies
Railways face big fines
Closing the gender gap in Manitoba
Happy birthday and goodbye
'Status quo' report incites outrage
This was no isolated incident
Your weekend weather
Start getting excited, Bombers fans
Momentum building: Maurice
Winnipegger shared steaks, jokes with Putin
Polish family living in city desperate to stay here