December 9, 2013 Sections
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
A man who was alone in a St. Cross Street home is in hospital being treated for smoke inhalation after a fire there early this morning.
Crews were called to the North End home, just around the corner from Luxton School, about 5:42 a.m. and found the man on his exterior steps and smoke billowing from the home.
The fire was under control by just after 7 a.m.
District Fire Chief Don Black said it appears the blaze was sparked in the basement furnace room.
"Our guys entered and it got very hot," he said. "We pulled them out and went from an offensive to a defensive attack. We did a little exterior work and then returned to do salvage overhaul."
He said it's still too early to determine a cause or damage estimate.
Updated on Friday, March 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM CDT:
updates neighbourhood in which the home is located.
Updated on Monday, June 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM CDT: