Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 03/22/2013 7:38 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 06/3/2013 9:56 PM | Updates
A man who was alone in a St. Cross Street home is in hospital being treated for smoke inhalation after a fire there early this morning.
Crews were called to the North End home, just around the corner from Luxton School, about 5:42 a.m. and found the man on his exterior steps and smoke billowing from the home.
The fire was under control by just after 7 a.m.
District Fire Chief Don Black said it appears the blaze was sparked in the basement furnace room.
"Our guys entered and it got very hot," he said. "We pulled them out and went from an offensive to a defensive attack. We did a little exterior work and then returned to do salvage overhaul."
He said it's still too early to determine a cause or damage estimate.
Updated on Friday, March 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM CDT: updates neighbourhood in which the home is located.
June 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM: Corrects typo.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Busy morning for Winnipeg firefighters
Co-pilot may have hidden illness, prosecutors say
Ghomeshi case put over until end of April
Key of Bart: Another Kick At A Paywall
Winnipeg cops resuscitate baby
Toews' salary to be docked
Iran says nuke talks focused despite Yemen crisis
Police arrest two alleged johns; at-risk youths taken to places of safety
Jets receive top tax break
Bombers coach O'Shea looks back on Year 1 and forward to Year 2
Pavs' redemption continues
Tough cell: Ferrell prison comedy falls flat
Rally to decry violence against world's women
Matter of (their) opinion
Jets still gaining altitude
Shortchanging special needs
High near freezing today, rain expected Saturday
A penchant to self-destruct in full view
U of W approves indigenous course requirement
21 victims videotaped in case of voyeurism
Valve malfunction causes 30,000-litre oil spill near Virden
Sky's still the limit
Sierra Leoneans to stay home in final push to stop Ebola
Major power outage hits Amsterdam, affecting trains, airport