Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 03/18/2013 1:12 PM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 03/18/2013 3:47 PM | Updates
The Mathias Colomb Cree Nation isn’t about to be intimidated by a Canadian mining giant.
The northwestern Manitoba First Nation came out swinging this morning after HudBay Minerals Inc. filed a statement of claim last week against Chief Arlen Dumas and other community members seeking to prevent them from setting foot on the company’s mining sites.
Dumas said he believes HudBay’s response to two "peaceful" demonstrations is "heavy-handed."
"I think it’s completely unreasonable. There are other ways to move this issue forward. A lawsuit isn’t going to deter us," he said.
The chief, along with other MCCN members and Idle No More supporters, visited HudBay’s Lalor Lake mine project on Jan. 28 and March 5 to serve two "stop work" orders to the mining company and the province.
MCCN maintains the proposed Lalor Lake project is on unceded territory and HudBay did not obtain its consent to operate there and extract resources.
In its statement of claim, HudBay claims Dumas and others have caused economic loss to the company as well as "irreparable harm" from the loss of productivity and the safety risk to its employees.
Updated on Monday, March 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM CDT: corrects typo
3:47 PM: updates photo
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Confusion over water pipe wait
STARS to fly in emergencies
Closing the gender gap in Manitoba
Happy birthday and goodbye
This was no isolated incident
Your weekend weather
'Status quo' report incites outrage
Momentum building: Maurice
Polish family living in city desperate to stay here
Winnipegger shared steaks, jokes with Putin
A patronage critic on Queen's Bench
Start getting excited, Bombers fans