An aboriginal man who falsely accused two Winnipeg police officers of taking him on a "star light" tour two years ago will make a public apology Thursday morning.
Evan Maud made national headlines when he claimed in early December 2010 that two officers drove him out to the city’s outskirts late at night, stripped him of his coat and left him there to walk back to the city.
Maud also claimed he was kicked off a Transit bus when he made it to the city.
But the allegations quickly unravelled when GPS devices on the officers’ vehicle showed it never left the city.
Further proof came from video surveillance from two Winnipeg Transit buses, which showed Maud on the buses when he was supposed to have been walking in the freezing cold — and he was never kicked off.
Maud was charged with mischief for making a false report.
Winnipeg Police Association president Mike Sutherland said Maud had been involved in a mediation process, working with Onashowewin, an aboriginal restorative-justice program.
Sutherland said Onashowewin organized the public apology at its Broadway offices Thursday morning.
"We’re not looking for a pound of flesh," Sutherland said. "But (the apology) is the least he can do."
Onashowewin has not confirmed the apology will be taking place.
Sutherland said the WPA had prepared a civil suit against Maud but added it’s been put aside in anticipation the apology would be sincere, complete and made in public.