WINNIPEG — Four-time Canadian champion Jennifer Jones is off to a fine start at the $60,000 Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Women’s Curling Classic that started today at the Fort Rouge Curling Club.
Jones' St. Vital Curling Club team posted a pair of wins, including tonight’s 6-4 decision over Bingyu Wang of China.
Jones downed Brandon’s Stacey Fordyce 7-1 in a game earlier today.
Chelsea Carey of the host club won her first game earlier today, 5-4 over Karen Fallis of Thistle, but dropped her evening game 6-5 to Michele Jaggi of Switzerland.
Jones and Carey are the only teams participating this week that have qualified for the Olympic Trials here in December.
Other opening-game winners included:
- Wang, 6-2 over Tracy Horgan of Sudbury, Ont.
- Silvana Tirinzoni of Switzerland, 8-2 over Granite’s Jill Thurston.
- Trish Paulsen of Saskatoon, 5-3 over Edmonton’s Laura Crocker.
- Jaggi, 6-4 over Fredericton’s Andrea Crawford.
- Michelle Montford of Assiniboine Memorial, 7-5 over Sweden’s Margaretha Sigfrisson.
- Edmonton’s Valerie Sweeting, 8-3 over Regina’s Michelle Englot.
- Renee Sonnenberg, 8-4 over Pinawa’s Colleen Kilgallen.
- Barb Spencer of Assiniboine Memorial, 7-4 over Switzerland’s Binia Fletscher.
- Russia’s Anna Sidorova, 8-4 over East St. Paul’s Kim Link.
- Fort Rouge’s Breanne Meakin 10-8 in an extra end over Mirjam Ott of Switzerland.
- Calgary’s Crystal Webster, 6-3 over Fort Rouge’s Darcy Robertson.
- Assiniboine’s Janet Harvey, 5-2 over Calgary’s Shannon Kleibrink.
- Regina’s Ambert Holland, 8-4 over Satsuki Fujisawa of Japan.
- Scotland’s Eve Muirhead, 7-2 over Fort Rouge’s Joelle Brown.
Play for the 32 rinks continues through the weekend, with the playoff round scheduled for Monday.