Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 01/30/2014 2:58 PM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 01/30/2014 4:33 PM | Updates
Bring it on, says Opposition Leader Brian Pallister on an NDP plan to launch a new series of TV attack ads against him.
"The NDP running attack ads doesn’t bother me," he told reporters today. "It’s not a reflection on me — it’s a reflection on their desperation. I’m not afraid of it."
The TV ads are to be shown first Feb. 8 at the AGM in Winnipeg and are intended to poke a hole in Pallister’s balloon as Premier Greg Selinger’s popularity sags in public opinion polls.
Sources have said the ads will run during the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
Pallister also said he has no worries about how the ads might portray him.
"I’ve got a record. They can consult the record and they can have at 'er," he said this afternoon outside his office. "The reality is they’re running from their own record and everybody knows it."
NDP House Leader Andrew Swan said the ads will convey the truth about Pallister, who he described as a willing participant in the former Tory government of Gary Filmon and its cutting of essential government services during the 1990s.
"It’s about giving people information," Swan said. "Brian Pallister, as I see by his comments where he has a record, he sure does have a record. His record is reckless cuts to the public service, record-setting cuts to things that people depended on when he was in Gary Filmon’s cabinet. Manitoba has changed a lot since then. Brian Pallister has not changed one bit."
Swan said he hadn’t seen the ads, but saw the concept for them.
"I’m very glad that the Manitoba NDP is going to provide Manitobans with more information so they can make an informed choice," Swan said.
The ads are to air almost two years away from the next general election. That could come in fall 2015, but if the Harper government calls a federal election for the fall of 2015, the Manitoba election would be delayed until the following April.
Pallister said his party’s own recent advertising can’t be compared to what the NDP has up its sleeve.
"Advertising is fine. The issue here is the nature of the advertising. Nobody has asked any questions about our advertising because it’s based on fact."
Updated on Thursday, January 30, 2014 at 4:33 PM CST: Adds comments from NDP House Leader Andrew Swan.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Froese brothers to be buried Wednesday
NHL trade deadline: Is the Jets GM done?
Police investigate sexual assault at Polo Park's Bay store
Less anxiety and more optimism after this morning's Jets practice
Chris de Burgh to play Winnipeg in October
Tunnel builders wanted 'hang out' space: cops
Few companies offer daycare services for staff, despite benefits
Bell appeals CRTC decision on Super Bowl ads
Driver badly hurt in Elmwood rollover
Los Angeles police kill man in struggle captured on video
Men in Dalhousie Facebook group apologize
Ottawa named host city for 2017 Canadian Curling Trials
What's missing is action
Two U of W Wesmen wrestlers honoured as school's players of the week
Doctor recalls era of measles before vaccine
Odds are, U of T prof knows the answer
Beyond big-box: Transition away from mega-stores bodes well for urban landscape
Brier victory good as gold
Warmer, but windy in the 'Peg today
Just for the record, vinyl's in
Leadership as popularity contest
Costco strikes credit card deal with Citi, Visa
Pollution documentary attracts huge interest in China
Buffett declines to clarify plan to eventually replace him
NASA spacecraft nearing its second stop - dwarf planet Ceres
Next Google Maps adventure: Soaring through Amazon jungle
'Once in a lifetime' Canada Games come to a close
Iraq launches operation to retake Tikrit from Islamic State
The Nasdaq composite index, then and now
Video reports conflict in probe of Putin critic's slaying
Kerry, Russian FM meet in Geneva as Ukraine tensions simmer
Saudi diplomat taken by al-Qaida in Yemen free after 3 years
UN rights office: Death toll in eastern Ukraine passes 6,000