December 6, 2013 Sections
Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
A woman injured in an apartment fire in the 400 block of Sargent Ave., on Wednesday has been upgraded to stable condition, police said today.
She suffered smoke inhalation after a fire broke out about 3:30 p.m. in a five-storey apartment building in the core area.
The fire in the apartment block at 475 Sargent Ave. near Balmoral Street was thought to have started in the kitchen of a suite, according to a source at the scene.
Firefighters on the scene used breathing apparatus to move throughout the building, checking suites for occupants as they contained the fire.
Fire officials have yet to confirm the cause of the fire.
A damage estimate has been pegged at $70,000 to the suite.
Updated on Wednesday, May 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM CDT:
write-thru with new info, adds photo
Updated on Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM CDT:
Updated with victim's upgraded condition.