Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/3/2014 (896 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Police are again turning to the public for help in bringing justice to a Winnipeg Transit driver who recently found himself confronted by an unruly passenger and threatened with violence.
Investigators probing the alarming situation the driver found himself in released photos Wednesday of a rider on a downtown bus who they say made threats and then made off with the driver’s property.
"This is an individual who goes to work every day and provides a service for our citizens … the abuse (he) did take is not something we’re going to tolerate," Detective Sgt. Natalie Aitken said Wednesday.
Police circulated suspect photos from the Dec. 6 evening incident at Graham Avenue and Donald Street internally, but that effort didn’t generate any successful leads, Aitken said.
The driver wasn’t injured and the personal property the suspect grabbed from him before taking off on foot was dropped and recovered, police said.
It’s the second time in recent months a transit-related incident has made headlines.
Last fall, police even went so far as to release bus surveillance video of a violent and unprovoked attack on a 50-year-old driver in hopes of shaking tips loose.
Just weeks after doing so — and more than 40,000 video views later — an arrest was made.
Dwight Stevenson, 23, faces charges of uttering threats and assault causing bodily harm.
Court records show Stevenson was granted bail on Dec. 24 to go live at a residential treatment facility in St. Norbert.
Prosecutors opposed his release, but requested a publication ban be placed on the case until it concludes or a trial is held.
Stevenson is currently wanted for failing to stay at the facility as required by his bail conditions and also for failing to turn up in court on Feb. 11.
He also faces an aggravated assault charge in connection with an unrelated attack on a 45-year-old man on Oct. 31.