Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Man charged, victims identified in double homicide

  • Print
default video player to use on WFP

A man known to have a relationship to the female victim in a double slaying discovered in Charleswood Friday has been charged with two counts of second-degree murder.

Seymour Lloyd Sharpe, 44, was charged after he turned himself in.

He remains in Winnipeg police custody.

The two victims have been identified by police as Natasha Jeffrey, 37, and Ronald Dabreo, 39.

Police said a domestic situation had occurred within the residence. Autopsies are being carried out to determine the cause of death.

Police would not say whether a weapon was used in the slayings.

‘I’m shocked. I’m stunned. I don’t know what to think’ — Roland Burrell, cousin of man in custody

Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 204-986-6508 or Crime Stoppers at 204-786-TIPS (8477).

Sharpe turned himself into police and police discovered the two deceased based on his information.

Winnipeg homicide detectives were led directly to the scene of the double slaying after a man walked into a police station with a stunning confession.

Sources told the Free Press about the surreal situation that played out around 8 a.m Friday: first at the Pembina Highway police station, and then at the home at 4317 Roblin Blvd., where the severely injured bodies of a man and woman were found inside.

Police released few details as forensic investigators continued to work the scene throughout the day. But multiple sources indicated the crime is believed to be a domestic-related incident and not a random act of violence or robbery gone bad.

Roland Burrell said on Friday his cousin, whom he identified as Mikey Sharpe, was in custody and being interviewed by police. Burrell identified Sharpe’s girlfriend, Jeffrey, as the female victim found inside the home she owned. Sources said the male victim was a friend of Jeffrey’s.

"It’s a real complicated situation with them. I’m not sure exactly what’s going on," said Burrell, who had just come back to Winnipeg from an out-of-town trip to be greeted with the tragic news. He tried to get inside the home on Roblin Friday but police turned him back.

"All I know is Mikey’s in custody and Natasha is dead. We’re just waiting to hear what the situation is, what really happened, what the other side of the story is," said Burrell.

Both Sharpe and Jeffrey are originally from Jamaica, and Burrell said he’s been fielding numerous long-distance calls from loved ones looking for information. Jeffrey’s only family in the city is believed to be a brother, he said.

Jeffrey took over ownership of the Roblin home last fall after her former husband, Michael Jeffrey, died in Calgary. The couple had been married in 1995 but separated in 2007, according to court documents. They had no children.

Jeffrey and Sharpe had been dating for the past several years, said Burrell. The relationship caught the attention of police and justice officials in 2009 when Jeffrey obtained a restraining order against Sharpe’s ex-wife by claiming the woman was stalking and threatening her, the Free Press has learned.

"She promised to throw acid on me," her affidavit reads. Sharpe’s ex-wife then tried to obtain a similar court order against Jeffrey but was denied.

Burrell said he believes Jeffrey and Sharpe had stopped dating but continued to live together on Roblin inside the white-stucco bungalow with limestone trim and an attached garage. Several neighbours said they believe Jeffrey was living in the home with two adult men. Burrell said one of those was certainly Sharpe, but he didn’t know the identity of the other.

Last weekend, Jeffrey and Sharpe hosted a wedding reception in their backyard for close friends. Burrell said he hadn’t spoken to the couple for several days but had planned to see them this weekend now he was back in town. He described them both as "good, happy people" and couldn’t believe what had transpired.

"I’m shocked. I’m stunned. I don’t know what to think," he said.

Several people were seen visibly distressed outside the home Friday morning. At one point, a uniformed police officer was seen offering what appeared to be comfort to two women, one of whom was seated on the pavement, in tears, while the second woman stood near her.

"I can tell you right now we’re classifying this as a suspicious circumstance," Winnipeg Police Service spokesman Const. Jason Michalyshen said earlier in the day. "It would be premature to discuss details about what homicide investigators discovered inside the home. I can confirm members of our homicide unit are involved. I can confirm members of our forensic unit are actively involved. We have uniformed patrol members there. We have the perimeter sealed off."

One neighbour said he knew something was wrong shortly after 8 a.m. That’s when he took a call from his mother’s home that overlooks the backyard of the crime scene. The neighbour said one police officer kicked in the back door in a bid to enter the home. Another officer told him shortly after that, "It doesn’t look good."

By 10 a.m., a heavy police presence was visible along an entire section of the 4000 block of Roblin Boulevard. Neighbours appeared jarred by the heavy official presence. One woman with a baby in her arms described the neighbourhood as quiet. She said she’d never seen so many police at any one time before on the street.

— with files from Alexandra Paul

www.mikeoncrime.com

History

Updated on Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM CDT: update, headline change

12:13 PM: updated, new headline

12:18 PM: edited

12:20 PM: edited

12:24 PM: edited

2:43 PM: victims ID'd

2:43 PM: Headline changed

2:44 PM: Police phone number added

2:55 PM: Name corrected.

2:57 PM: edited

3:04 PM: edit

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Bowman questioned on financial solutions for city

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A group of Horese pose for the camera in the early evening light at Southcreek Stables in Stl Norbert Wednessday. Sept  14, 2011 (RUTH BONNEVILLE) / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • July 1, 2012 - 120701  -   Canada Day fireworks at The Forks from the Norwood Bridge Sunday, July 1, 2012.    John Woods / Winnipeg Free Press

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think e-cigarettes should be banned by the school division?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google