Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Soldier gets five years for man's death

  • Print

BRANDON -- A Shilo soldier was sentenced to five years in prison this morning in the death of a 21-year-old man.

Duane Lacquette, known as Jon-Jon to his many friends and large Métis family, was found Jan. 16, 2010 lying naked in his basement following a night of drinking. Lacquette was the victim of a UFC-style choke-hold that strangled him.

Jason John Ouimet, a former amateur boxer and now a gunner at CFB Shilo, was charged with murder but pled guilty to manslaughter in late April. Ouimet claimed he passed out in Lacquette's basement and awoke to find a naked Lacquette performing oral sex on him. Crown Attorney Jim Ross said Ouimet was so infuriated by the unwanted sexual touching that he killed Lacquette when he could have used his superior size and fighting skills to simply subdue him instead.

Family and friends have said all along they do not believe Lacquette would have sexually assaulted anyone or would have put himself at risk of violence.

"He was not a person with anger in his heart," said Lacquette's uncle, Eugene, who read a victim impact statement penned by Lacquette's deaf father, Dwayne. "He carried life, humour and love with him and shared that with everyone he met."

The case was shrouded in mystery and rumour until last month when a publication ban on some preliminary hearing testimony was lifted. The testimony raised the question of whether Lacquette's death was the result of self-defence, a consensual encounter gone wrong or gay panic.

Ouimet's lawyer, Roberta Campbell, said Ouimet's reaction had nothing to do with Lacquette's sexual orientation and was instead a reaction to being sexually assaulted.

History

Updated on Thursday, June 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM CDT: amends headline, closes comments

2:45 PM: amends lede paragraph

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

The Winnipeg Free Press is not accepting comments on this story.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Doug Speirs trains for role in Nutcracker

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A young goose   reaches for long strands of grass Friday night near McGillvary Blvd-See Bryksa 30 Day goose challenge- Day 19 - May 23, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A golfer looks for his ball in a water trap at John Blumberg Golf Course Friday afternoon as geese and goslings run for safety- See Joe Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge- Day 24– June 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Now that former cabinet minister Theresa Oswald has entered the NDP leadership race, do you believe the "gang of five" rebel ministers were right to publicly criticize Premier Greg Selinger's leadership?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google