Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 5/6/2011 (1816 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
On Monday, the people hardest hit by last week’s stormy floodwaters will be able to get some help and some idea when they can go back home.
"A team of structural experts are going through the first wave of properties at St. Laurent," a provincial government spokesman said Sunday.
With damaged buildings, materials strewn about, ruined roads and downed hydro lines, officials have to check the 715 evacuated properties in the RM of St. Laurent to see what needs to be done so people can return to them, the spokesman said. It's much like the process that was carried out in Elie, Man., after a devastating tornado hit in 2007, he said.
The first disbursement of compensation cheques to permanent residents forced from their homes in the rural municipality can be picked up in Winnipeg and St. Laurent on Monday, the spokesman said.
Further details will be released Monday, he said.
The evacuation zone runs along the lakefront and nearly one kilometre inland.
The re-entry safety inspection team has to give the all-clear signal before owners will be allowed back in.
The majority of the affected properties are seasonal, the municipality said.
Right now, as the water recedes in some places, the only ones who are happy are the seagulls, the spokesman said.
"There are carp everywhere."