Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Teen pleads guilty to charges stemming from violent rampage

  • Print

A young Indian Posse street-gang associate has admitted guilt in connection with a staggering spree of violence in the North End which left a wave of terrified victims in its wake.

The accused, now 20, was 17 on Jan. 14, 2011 when he set off on a 15-minute long robbery spree down Selkirk Avenue.

By the time it ended, he had stabbed three randomly-targeted people, including a teen boy who required surgery and 30 staples to repair a punctured spleen.

The accused will be sentenced as a youth and has been in custody since his arrest the same day. He cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act. He pleaded guilty today to a range of charges including aggravated assault and two counts of robbery.

With a neck warmer pulled up over his face, the gang member first struck around 7:15 p.m. when he confronted a 45-year-old man and two teen girls who fled into a store for safety.

He followed them inside and then threatened to shoot people, Crown attorney Melissa Weinstein told court. The cool-headed store clerk managed to convince him to leave without any violence.

The offender then proceeded to pull a knife on a 48-year-old man on the sidewalk near the store. When the victim refused to hand over his property, he was stabbed in the bicep.

Undeterred, his next targets appeared a block west of the first stabbing and he accosted two teen boys, 14 and 15, asking them if they were "down" with a rival gang. He grabbed the older boy's music player from his hands.

Instead of just taking the item and going on his way, the offender punched the youth three times in the face, knocking out a tooth, before stabbing him in the back as he turned to run away, court heard.

The accused then returned to the younger boy, punched him in the face and stabbed him before he could run away.

The 15-year-old collapsed in a nearby store due to his serious stab injury and was rushed to Children's Hospital where he required surgery.

Police were hot on the attacker's heels and flooded the area. He was arrested after being spotted at Pritchard Avenue and Aikins Street.

Sentencing will take place later this year. Reports examining the offender's psychological state and his personal background will be presented at that time.

The accused admitted today he has limited recollection of what happened due to his level of intoxication at the time.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because it involves young offenders or minors.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Lawless in the Morning: It's playoff game day

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Perfect Day- Paul Buteux walks  his dog Cassie Tuesday on the Sagimay Trail in Assiniboine Forest enjoying a almost perfect  fall day in Winnipeg- Standup photo – September 27, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Hay bales sit under a rainbow just west of Winnipeg Saturday, September 3, 2011.(John Woods/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google