Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 07/3/2014 2:42 PM
Last Modified: 07/3/2014 4:59 PM | Updates
A city teen who broke into an east Winnipeg home and confined and raped a girl has been handed the maximum possible youth sentence.
"He has caused indescribable damage to the victim and her family," provincial court Judge Tracey Lord said this afternoon, calling the case the "worst nightmare" because of its display of random brutality.
The youth sentence Lord imposed amounts to two years of jail and a year of supervision in the community. The 17 months of remand time he’s already served will not be taken off his sentence.
The offender was just 14 when he targeted and busted his way into the 17-year-old victim’s home to steal a television on Feb. 9, 2013.
Once inside, he encountered and confronted the terrified girl hiding in her bedroom.
He confined her, stole her cellphone and seriously sexually assaulted her before dragging her to an area near the home’s rear door and assaulting her some more.
He didn’t know the girl had managed to call 911 moments prior to the attack.
Police burst in within minutes and witnessed part of the final assault.
The offender fled out the door, but was caught after a short foot chase.
Lord rejected a request from Crown prosecutors that all his jail time be served as "secure" custody, meaning he wouldn’t be eligible for any temporary leaves from jail.
Instead, 20 of his 24 months of custody will be served in secure custody, Lord ruled. He must earn any temporary leaves through good behaviour.
Court heard the teen had been left essentially unsupervised and came from a "chaotic" background where he was exposed to substance abuse and street gang subculture.
His victim has been left seriously scarred by the incident, telling court previously in an impact statement she feels numb, hopeless and suffers from mood swings.
The Crown initially signalled an intention to seek an adult sentence for the offender, but ultimately withdrew their application.
Updated on Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM CDT: corrects typo
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Man missing in Pembina Valley Provincial Park
Inquests called into prison deaths
Games should remind us of what Canada is all about
'Nobody's going to believe her': defence lawyer on accused in dead infants case
Key of Bart: Choose Yourself
City police checking in on kids' hockey this winter
Powder-filled envelope at consulate in Turkey
Maddin's 'My Winnipeg' gets Criterion treatment
Tickets to One Direction on sale Nov. 1
'Growler bars' for draft beer now in Manitoba
Result shocks Bowman
Jets can reset their season now after an awkward, fumbling start
Missing girl, 16, believed to be travelling west
Ouellette's star still on the rise
First Nation brings Hydro protest to HQ
Björk's human nature shines through multimedia overload
China launches experimental moon orbiter
Bill Murray’s reliable grumpiness gives sharp edge to sentimental premise
U.K. firm to design this year's pop-up eatery
Sweden calls off search for submarine
Halifax gun incidents not related: police
Warm today, but chance of flurries next week
Fletcher told caregiver to run for it, if she could
Tunisian forces raid home, kill 6 suspects
Queen sends 1st tweet, signed 'Elizabeth R'