Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Whistleblower returns documents in hopes MANFF drops lawsuit

  • Print

Whistleblower Ted Ducharme may have struck a deal to end a legal fight with his former employer.

Before court this morning, Ducharme turned over all documents he had collected while working for the Manitoba Association of Native Fire Fighters (MANFF) Inc. -- documents he claimed support allegations of misappropriation of funds designated for the care of First Nation flood evacuees.

"I do not possess any other documents from (MANFF)," Ducharme told Justice Shawn Greenberg, as a MANFF counsel held up a plastic bag of documents that Ducharme had given him minutes earlier. "That's everything."

Outside court, Ducharme said MANFF's counsel had implied that the non-profit agency would drop its lawsuit against him now that the documents were returned.

MANFF is suing Ducharme, alleging it suffered financial damages and harm to its reputation after he showed the documents to the federal government, the Free Press, the CBC, and others.

Ducharme said returning his MANFF documents made no difference because others, including the federal government, had made copies.

Ducharme, who does not have a lawyer, told the court he will continue to abide by a court order made at the end of June which prohibits him from circulating copies of the MANFF documents.

MANFF had been in charge of registering and caring for the 2011 First Nation flood evacuees. In February, Ottawa launched an external review of MANFF's operations after allegations it had misspent funds and had not paid outstanding debts to two Manitoba hotels.

Ottawa announced in early June that a transition plan will be developed to address the long-term needs of the First Nation evacuees.

Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard Valcourt said the transition plan will be based on recommendations by the Canadian Red Cross, which will work with the affected First Nation communities to conduct an assessment of the evacuees’ long term needs.

 

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

History

Updated on Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 12:24 PM CDT: Clarifies that the Red Cross has not yet replaced MANFF

4:12 PM: Clarifies June announcement from the government.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

The Winnipeg Free Press is not accepting comments on this story.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Trucks power through flooded underpass at Main St and Higgins

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A monarch butterfly looks for nectar in Mexican sunflowers at Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park Monday afternoon-Monarch butterflys start their annual migration usually in late August with the first sign of frost- Standup photo– August 22, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Local-(  Standup photo)-    A butterfly looks for nector on a lily Tuesday afternoon in Wolseley-JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS- June 22, 2010

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do high-profile endorsements for political candidates influence your voting decisions?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google