Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/5/2014 (967 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is capitalizing on everyone’s favourite, fleeting season with a series of noon-hour concerts this summer.
Partnering with nine diverse music festivals, the BIZ will host concerts every Wednesday at noon beginning June 4. The Downtown Concert Series will alternate locations between Air Canada Park (beside Portage Place Shopping Centre) and the Millennium Library Park.
The local festivals represented include the Winnipeg Folk Festival, Aboriginal Music Week and Folklorama.
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ chair, Sachit Mehra, unveiled the concert series at a press conference this morning, saying he hopes this project will help revitalize the city’s core.
Lynne Skromeda, executive director of the Winnipeg Folk Festival, was on hand and said she’s excited to see the "collective, coordinated and convenient" effort of the Downtown BIZ in bringing together "fabulous art and music that’s accessible to everyone."
"I don’t think anyone’s ever brought all the festivals together in one series at one time," said Skromeda. "It’s lively, it’s exciting and it’s going to be a great way to say, ‘Hey, you like [this band]? You can come see more of them at our festival next weekend.’"
Here is the full schedule for the Downtown Concert Series. All of the artists performing will be confirmed closer to their concert dates on downtownwinnipegbiz.com.
- June 4 - Federal Lights (ManyFest) at Air Canada Park
- June 11 - The Ryan Keown Band (Countryfest) at Air Canada Park
- June 18 - Mise en Scene (Islendingadagurinn-Icelandic Festival) at Air Canada Park
- June 25 - Aboriginal Music Week at Air Canada Park
- July 2 - Cara Luft (Winnipeg Folk Festival) at Air Canada Park
- July 9 - Fortunate Ones (Winnipeg Folk Festival) at Air Canada Park
- July 16- Aboriginal Music Week at Air Canada Park
- July 23 & 30 - Folklorama at Air Canada Park
- August 6 - Big Fun Festival at Millennium Library Park
- August 13 - MEME-Manitoba Electronic Music Exhibition at Millennium Library Park
- August 20 & 27- Manito Ahbee at Millennium Library Park