WINNIPEG — Health officials are investigating whether the second wave of H1N1 has killed a Manitoban.
Manitoba’s chief medical officer Dr. Joel Kettner said the death of one Manitoban is under review but would not confirm the person’s age or gender, or say whether the individual was hospitalized for severe respiratory illness.
Since Oct. 8, 20 people have been hospitalized for severe respiratory illness, including one lab-confirmed case of severe H1N1.
Seven deaths in Manitoba associated with the H1N1 flu were reported to the Public Health Agency of Canada during the first wave of the flu.
Meanwhile, lines are short at 12 city flu clinics on Thursday, so Winnipeg health officials are encouraging anyone on the priority list to come out and get the vaccine.
People who are eligible include:
- children aged six months to five years,
- anyone of aboriginal ancestry,
- disadvantaged people,
- people living in remote or isolated areas,
- people under 65 with a chronic medical condition or other risks including severe obesity and alcoholism,
- anyone with a weakened immune system,
- single parents,
- those who live with or care for infants under six months old,
- health care workers, and
- pregnant women.
Flu clinics reopened Wednesday morning, and by the end of the day 7,298 people received the vaccine in Winnipeg. A total of 84,070 people have been vaccinated in the last week.
Across Manitoba, regional health authorities are adapting their clinics based on the supply and demand for vaccine and other factors, provincial officials said Thursday.
Some RHAs expect to run out of vaccine with adjuvant by the end of this week or early next week and may continue to postpone clinics. Other RHAs expect to return to focusing on the original priority groups, officials said in a release.
Many clinics are now administering the vaccine without an adjuvant to pregnant women. The Public Health Agency of Canada has recommended that pregnant women at any stage of their pregnancy should receive the H1N1 flu shot without adjuvant.