Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 3/1/2012 (1841 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
It may be a new year, but police are still working on unsolved cases from 2011 and say it's never too late for witnesses to come forward.
The Winnipeg Police Service dealt with a record-setting 39 homicides in 2011, including five cases where police have not announced arrests or identified suspects they're seeking.
In a sixth case, police have issued arrest warrants for 19-year-old Chance Guimond and 18-year-old Cody Kakaeeway for the shooting death of Darren George, but the two remain at large.
Remaining unsolved are the homicides of 31-year-old Cara Lynn Hiebert and 27-year-old Baljinder Singh Sidhu last summer, as well as the deaths of 20-year-old Oudy Phrakonekham and 28-year-old Mohamed Ali Omar last October.
Police said they're still working hard on each case.
"These are all still open investigations and members of our homicide unit continue to work diligently on all of them, despite the high clearance rate," said Const. Jason Michalyshen, spokesman for the Winnipeg Police Service.
"Our goal is to hold (any) persons accountable for each of these investigations, whether that's one or more individuals."
The death of Michael Warren Sinclair last Saturday closed off 2011, after the 46-year-old man was shot early in the morning of Dec. 31. Police have announced no arrests in connection with the man's slaying at a Selkirk Avenue home.
Family have declined comment to the Free Press, but one relative said her brother was not linked to gangs.
Michalyshen said violent incidents such as homicides can impact resources to a "significant degree."
He said witness information can provide a crucial role in helping solve homicide cases.
"The assistance of the public each and every time is a huge part of our investigations. When members of the public do come forward and are willing to work with officers and provide detailed information, that is the assistance that we require, and that's the assistance that, in so many cases, is the difference between solving an investigation or not," he said.
"(It's) never too late to come forward. And if, for whatever reason, an individual initially was reluctant to provide details, it's never too late and we'd always ask them to come forward if they do possess even a small piece of information."
Winnipeg Homicides, 2011
Click on any pointer for more details on the case. Use the controls at left to zoom in or out of the map. Please note that some pointers are placed at approximate locations, not on the exact address of the incident.
Winnipeg’s unenvious record of homicides in 2011
1. Darryl John Sinclair, 45, stabbed to death Jan. 6, 269 Dufferin Ave. Robert Carl Prince, 44, was charged with second-degree murder.
2. Zenon Sylvester Bozynski, 48, beaten to death Jan. 15, 300 block of Redwood Avenue. Jamie Jossens Morrisseau, 27 and Gamielle William Harry Courchene, 25, was charged with second-degree murder.
3. Cameron Jack Walker, 16, stabbed to death Jan. 28, 700 block of Allegheny Drive. Matthew Craig Krasny, 28, was charged with second-degree murder.
4,5. Darren Joey Swampy, 19, and Lee Brady Spence, 22, shot to death on Feb. 5, 400 block of Elgin Avenue. Randy Murray Williams, 27, was charged with two counts of second-degree murder.
6. Orzias Joram Knott, 34, stabbed to death Feb. 18, 300 block of Kennedy Street. His wife Casandra Lydia Knott, 27, was charged with manslaughter.
7. Elizabeth Lafantaisie, 73, strangled Feb. 18, body found on River Avenue near Lewis Street. Anthony Joseph Brine, 25, was charged with first-degree murder.
8. Abdul Jemei, 22, stabbed to death March 16 near Portage Avenue and Vaughan Street. A 16-year-old youth and Ramsey Swain, 24, were both charged with second-degree murder.
9. Frank Alexander, 87, beaten to death March 24. Joe McLeod, 70, an Alzheimer's sufferer, was charged with assault.
10. Sheila Fontaine, 42, stabbed to death on 500 block of Selkirk Avenue, April 20. Police arrested Teya Winter-Spence, 18, a 13-year-old girl and two 17-year-old girls. One 17-year-old was charged with second-degree murder. The other three were charged with manslaughter.
11. Trevor Abraham Harper, 20, shot to death April 29, 500 block of Portage Avenue. A 15-year-old boy was charged with second-degree murder for the attack, which happened after Harper was in a vehicle when someone tapped on the window and told them to exit. Harper was allegedly shot as he tried to escape.
12. Solomon Joseph Turner, 46, stabbed to death May 10, 200 block of Austin Street North. Lloyd Alfred Lindsay, 48, was charged with second-degree murder. Wanda Lisa Rahman, 32, also charged with second-degree murder.
13. Gina Swanson, 33, stabbed to death around May 14. Her body was found in her home on the 1000 block of Edderton Avenue. Schuyler Francis Vanwissen, 26, was charged with first-degree murder.
14. Gerald Crayford, 54, stabbed to death May 16, 1100 block of Concordia Avenue. Byron Charlie Bushie, 18, and a 15-year-old youth were charged with second-degree murder.
15. Iris Heald, 61, beaten to death May 16, 700 block of Wellington Avenue. Cynthia Elaine Thomas, 35, was charged with manslaughter.
16. Leslie Alex Okemow, 29, beaten to death May 21. Body discovered on the 200 block of Smith Street. Arnold Philip Harper, 32, was charged with manslaughter.
17. Steven Kyle Dodge, 26, stabbed to death June 26, 400 block of Arlington Street. Nathan Allan Bricklin, 18, was charged with second-degree murder.
18/19/20/21/22. Norman Anderson, 22, Maureen Harper, 54, Kenneth Monkman, 49, Dean Stranden, 44, and Robert Laforte, 56, die after a fatal fire July 16 at 288 Austin St. N. Lulonda Lynn Flett, 40, was charged with five counts of second-degree murder and other charges.
23. Cara Lynn Hiebert, 31, beaten to death July 19, 500 block of Redwood Avenue. No arrest to date.
24 Baljinder Singh Sidhu, 27, stabbed to death Aug. 5 outside an Osborne Village bar near Stradbrook Avenue and Osborne Street. No arrest to date.
25. Marcel Murdock, 40, died after a street fight Aug. 20, 100 block of Garfield Street North. A 17-year-old girl was charged with first-degree murder after a huge fight involving a group of people. Six went to hospital.
26. Tim Koostachin, 30, beaten to death Aug. 21 near Isabel Street and Ross Avenue. Ray Vaughn Munro, 19, was charged with manslaughter.
27. Robert Rourke, 22, beaten to death Aug.25 on the 100 block of Burrows Avenue. Gregory Troy Govereau, 38, was charged with second-degree murder.
28. The body of April Hornbrook, 24, found dead Aug. 27, 700 block of Main Street. In October, police announced they'd arrested 36-year-old Max Maurice Richard and charged him with second-degree murder.
29. Joseph Lalonde, 48, beaten to death Aug. 24, 400 block of Dufferin Avenue. Two 15-year-old boys were charged with second-degree murder.
30. Clarky Stevenson, 15, stabbed to death Sept. 10, near College Avenue and Aikins Street.
An 18-year-old and 14-year-old charged with second-degree murder.
31. Rahima Sacranie, 84, slain Sept. 21 on Pine Bluff Road. Her granddaughter, Sahar Sacranie, 19, was charged with second-degree murder.
32. David Michael Vincett, 20, shot to death Sept. 25 near Boyd Avenue and Andrews Street. A 14-year-old boy who was affiliated with street gangs shot Vincett, who said he was a member of a gang.
33. Oudy Phrakonekham, 20, shot to death Oct. 29, McDermot Avenue near Arthur Street. No arrest has been made.
34. Mohamed Ali Omar, 28, shot to death Oct. 30 in the parking lot of Lincoln Motor Inn, near McPhillips Street and Mountain Avenue. No arrest has been made.
35. Harry Gegwetch, 42, beaten to death in a vacant building on 300 block of Carlton Street before it was set ablaze Nov. 12. Darrell Walter Longclaws, 32, was arrested and charged by police.
36. Sheldon Kostenko, 33, slain Dec. 3 on Osborne Street and Morley Avenue. Jordan Gregory Charney, 24, and Denver Sean Gyles, 24, were charged.
37. Dominique McCann, 19, found dead Dec. 2, 400 block of Selkirk Avenue. Donald Jacob Girard, 25, was charged with second degree murder.
38. Darren George, 22, shot to death Dec. 7, 700 block of Beverley Street. Police issued warrants for Chance Guimond, 19, and Cody Kakaeeway, 18 in connection with the death, but they have not been caught.
39. Michael Warren Sinclair, 46, shot to death Dec. 31, 600 block of Selkirk Avenue. Police have announced no arrests.