Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Accused killer calm and evasive with police

  • Print

ONLY hours after he hit his wife at least 57 times in the head with a hammer, Miloslav Kapsik was in no mood to tell police what prompted his deadly rage.

That was the scenario given to jurors Tuesday as they watched a videotaped statement given by Kapsik, 63. He has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder for the March 2010 slaying of his wife, Ludmila, 59.

The couple was married for 36 years and had no history of domestic violence.

Kapsik wants to be found not criminally responsible on the grounds he was suffering from a major mental illness and couldn't control, or appreciate, his violent actions. If successful, he would not go to prison, but would instead be placed under the care of medical officials who would determine his fate.

"I don't want to talk about it," Kapsik repeatedly stated during the interview. Two homicide investigators spent hours grilling him, questioning whether Ludmila had said or done something to provoke him. They also wondered how Kapsik could be so calm considering the brutality of the killing and the fact he admitted to spending more than an hour on the couch as his wife lay dying before calling 911.

"I wanted to cool down a little bit," he explained.

Ludmila was attacked inside their Jefferson Avenue apartment. Kapsik admits the couple was watching a hockey game on television when he suddenly got up, grabbed a hammer from the storage room and began hitting the woman from behind.

"I can't imagine the things you saw in there, to have that be the last memory of your wife," Winnipeg police Det.-Sgt. Wes Rommel said to Kapsik in the interview. "I don't think many people are going to be able to understand without some sort of explanation. A lot of anger comes out of this. A lot of anger."

Rommel asked Kapsik what he felt should happen to him for his crime.

"Up to a judge," Kapsik replied.

The Crown previously urged jurors to pay close attention to way Kapsik acted after his arrest, describing him as "calm, responsive to questions and coherent" throughout his dealings with police.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition February 27, 2013 A6

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Lawless in the Morning: Former NHLer Jeff O'Neill, Montreal Canadiens and help for the Jets

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Challenges of Life- Goose Goslings jump over railway tracks to catch up to their parents at the Canadian Pacific Railway terminalon Keewatin St in Winnipeg Thursday morning. The young goslings seem to normally hatch in the truck yard a few weeks before others in town- Standup photo- ( Day 4 of Bryksa’s 30 day goose project) - Apr 30, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Local- A large osprey lands in it's nest in a hydro pole on Hyw 59  near the Hillside Beach turnoff turn off. Osprey a large narrow winged hawk which can have a wingspan of over 54 inches are making a incredible recovery since pesticide use of the 1950's and  1960's- For the last two decades these fish hawks have been reappearing in the Lake Winnipeg area- Aug 03, 2005

View More Gallery Photos


Are you in favour of relocating Winnipeg's rail yards and lines?

View Results

Ads by Google