Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 12/3/2013 (1507 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Shawn Lamb is now accused of attacking five vulnerable Winnipeg women -- including three who were slain -- as the national investigation into the alleged serial killer remains open and active.
Lamb, 53, was taken out of the downtown Remand Centre on Monday night after police secured a warrant for his arrest. He was brought to the Public Safety Building, interviewed on video and hit with a new charge of sexual assault with a weapon.
A young woman claims she was forced into having sex and beaten with a car club on a day in either November or December 2011. She said a man picked her up in the area of Jarvis Avenue and Powers Street and drove to a secluded location. She went to police last summer, saying she recognized her attacker after seeing Lamb's picture in the media.
A report was sent to Manitoba Justice officials late this year for consideration. The Crown finally authorized a charge earlier this month.
"He denies it. He maintains his innocence," defence lawyer Martin Glazer told the Free Press on Tuesday.
Lamb first made headlines last summer when he was charged with three counts of second-degree murder in the deaths of Lorna Blacksmith, 18, Tanya Nepinak, 31, and Carolyn Sinclair, 25. Police said they began focusing on Lamb as a suspect after a woman told them she had been the victim of a serious sexual assault. Lamb was also charged with that alleged offence.
None of the allegations has been proven and Lamb is presumed innocent. He remains in custody without bail.
Glazer said Tuesday he's unaware if other potential charges are being considered against his client. Police had opened a national tip line on Lamb but announced last month they were shutting it down. They are also working with law-enforcement agencies across Canada as part of their ongoing investigation of Lamb, a lifelong drifter who has spent time in many provinces while amassing more than 100 convictions.
Police discovered Blacksmith's body in a Simcoe Street yard last June. She was allegedly killed in January 2012. Lamb has also been charged with the December 2011 killing of Carolyn Sinclair, whose body was discovered in March 2012. The third victim, Tanya Nepinak, was reportedly killed in September 2011. Her remains haven't been found.
Lamb was back in the news last month when he told police and a news reporter he has information that could help solve at least five additional cases. He has even provided the names of five women and details about evidence to which he claims he can lead officers.
"I'm not saying I had anything to do with these five. I'm saying I have information," Lamb said in a recent phone interview from the Winnipeg Remand Centre. "I'm denying any involvement with anything."
Police said they are proceeding with caution because Lamb is an intelligent manipulator. Homicide investigators have spoken with him several times in recent weeks and plan to continue doing so. But sources say those meetings have provided more frustration than results.