The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Alleged PQ election shooter waives preliminary hearing, goes straight to trial

  • Print

MONTREAL - Quebec's alleged election-night shooter has waived his right to a preliminary hearing and will head straight to trial.

Richard Henry Bain will face 15 charges including first-degree murder.

Details of his preliminary hearing had been placed under a publication ban — and, while many criminal suspects request such a ban, in this case Bain had vigorously resisted one.

The 62-year-old Bain is accused of killing one man at the exit of the nightclub where the Parti Quebecois was celebrating its provincial election win last September.

Premier Pauline Marois was making her speech during the attack. She has since said she believes she was the intended target of a political attack.

Bain will return to court on Sept. 3, one day before the one-year anniversary of the shooting. That's when a date will be set for jury selection.

Bain originally faced 16 charges but the prosecution has since revised the number to 15, including three of attempted murder.

One of those three alleges Bain attempted to murder 14 people. The list of 14 people does not include Marois.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Jets defencemen ready to face adversity

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Peregrine Falcon Recovery Project. Baby peregrine falcons. 21 days old. Three baby falcons. Born on ledge on roof of Radisson hotel on Portage Avenue. Project Coordinator Tracy Maconachie said that these are third generation falcons to call the hotel home. Maconachie banded the legs of the birds for future identification as seen on this adult bird swooping just metres above. June 16, 2004.
  • A goose cools off Thursday in water at Omands Creek Park-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 25– June 21, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Will you watch The Interview?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google