Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Attempts to reach boyfriend fruitless

  • Print
A barrel containing the body of Chad Davis is seen on the Lee River on July 23, 2008.


A barrel containing the body of Chad Davis is seen on the Lee River on July 23, 2008.

CHAD Davis said he was just going to give "Corey," his friend and former roommate, a ride somewhere.

But instead, Davis vanished and Courtney Sych's attempts to find her missing boyfriend turned up nothing.

This is among what an often-tearful Sych told court Tuesday at the first-degree murder trial of Corey Tymchyshyn, 37, and Kristopher Brincheski, 31.

The men are suspected of brutally slaying Davis on Feb. 6, 2008 inside a Prince Rupert Avenue garage and then disposing of his body in a barrel recovered months later from the Lee River near Lac du Bonnet.

The killing was committed over a debt Tymchyshyn owed to Davis, who dealt drugs, prosecutors and RCMP allege.

They've pleaded not guilty and are presumed innocent.

On the day she last saw Davis, Sych testified they had just checked in to the Red Lion Inn on Portage Avenue and were due to move out to Calgary just a day and a half later. Earlier that morning, Davis had talked with Tymchyshyn and agreed to give him a ride, she said.

The couple had a hasty lunch of Chinese food at a restaurant attached to the hotel and then brought a few small things into their room from Davis's Jeep, which was loaded with personal effects due to the impending move.

"He said he had to go -- that he had to go give Corey a ride, that he'd be back in half an hour," Sych said.

Days earlier, she said, Davis, 22, had moved out of Tymchyshyn's suite on Hargrave Street. Tymchyshyn had said he was returning to live at his mother's home, said Sych. Jurors have been told the home was on Prince Rupert Avenue.

Sych used a payphone to try and reach Davis on his cellphone after he failed to return.

She called him that day "as much as I possibly could have," she said.

When that didn't work, she tried reaching his friends, including Tymchyshyn, by leaving a voice mail on his mother's line, she said.

The message was never returned, said Sych.

Sych was shown a day planner seized by RCMP during the homicide investigation. She identified it as belonging to Davis.

"It's a way to keep track of who owed him what money," she said. Inside it, a loose piece of paper lists several names and what were construed in court as dollar amounts.

One of the names, "Raspy," was Tymchyshyn's nickname, Sych said. There are two numbers on the list corresponding to that name: 21,850 and 26,850, the jury heard.

Davis's disappearance came just as their relationship was taking a major turn for the better, said Sych.

"At that point, he was my world, he was all I had," Sych said, her voice shaking. "He was a great guy."

Also Tuesday, Manitoba Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Thambirajah Balachandra testified Davis died from blunt-force trauma to his head, possibly as a result of being attacked with a hammer. He had no defensive wounds on his body, Balachandra said.

Balachandra conceded that from his July 24, 2008 autopsy on Davis, he couldn't tell from the injuries he found if Davis had been attacked by one or two people.

"I can't say exactly how this happened," said Balachandra.

Sych returns to court for cross-examination by defence lawyers today.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition January 22, 2014 A5


Updated on Wednesday, January 22, 2014 at 7:35 AM CST: Replaces photo

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Mayor Bowman reacts to Caspian investigation

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A monarch butterfly looks for nectar in Mexican sunflowers at Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park Monday afternoon-Monarch butterflys start their annual migration usually in late August with the first sign of frost- Standup photo– August 22, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY

View More Gallery Photos


Do you think it's a good idea for Theresa Oswald to enter NDP leadership race?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google