Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Six-month-old only passenger killed in Nunavut tragedy

  • Print

SANIKILUAQ, Nunavut -- A woman on a plane that crashed in Nunavut, killing an infant, says she heard the child's frantic mother crying as she and the other survivors clambered from the wreckage to safety.

Malaya Uppik says she doesn't know how the six-month-old was killed and she doesn't remember much about the crash, but she can still hear the mother's screams.

"I remember she was crying: 'My baby. I lost my baby,"' Uppik, 46, said from her home in Sanikiluaq. "I only hear that she was crying, 'My baby,' and, 'I lost my baby,' and that's all I remember."

Uppik was one of nine people -- seven passengers and two pilots -- on the chartered Fairchild Metro 3/23 twin-engine turboprop when it crashed while landing Saturday night at the airport in Sanikiluaq.

Sanikiluaq is a community of 800 located on the Belcher Islands in the southeastern corner of Hudson Bay. As in all Nunavut communities, flying is the only way in and out.

RCMP say the crash occurred near the end of the runway, which sits on the north tip of Flaherty Island, roughly 150 kilometres from the Quebec shoreline. The Transportation Safety Board confirmed there was some blowing snow at the time of the crash, but said it was too early to say whether that played a role.

Flight 671 originated in Winnipeg and was chartered for Keewatin Air, which schedules three trips a week between Winnipeg and Sanikiluaq. The aircraft belonged to Winnipeg-based Perimeter Aviation.

Some of the passengers on board, including Uppik, were in Winnipeg for medical appointments and were on their way home. Uppik says the baby, a boy, came along on the trip with his mother because he was still breast-feeding. RCMP would not confirm the child's identity.

The primary language in Sanikiluaq is Inuktitut. Uppik struggled to recall what happened in English.

"When the plane crashed, I don't remember what I was doing," she said. "I didn't black out, but...when we looked like crashing, I just closed my eyes."

When she opened them, Uppik said she heard the pilot yelling for people to get out.

"The pilot went across my seat. He cracked the window. He told us to go out right away," she said.

The ground was slippery with fuel, but there was no fire. It was dark and she didn't see the other passengers or how badly they were hurt.

She and another survivor were met by snowmobiles on the runway and were loaded on a trailer for the ride back to the airport.

RCMP Sgt. Paul Solomon said none of the survivors suffered life-threatening injuries, though he didn't have details beyond that.

"I don't have the exact injuries, but I can tell you that the pilot and co-pilot have since been medevaced from Sanikiluaq for further medical treatment," Solomon said from Iqaluit.

Uppik said she bit her tongue, but was otherwise fine.

"I'm just a little bit tired right now."

Sarah Qavvik was also on the plane. She said she suffered bruises and hit her head.

She, too, didn't have any idea what caused the accident.

"It was so scary," she said. "I'm still in shock."

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada is leading the investigation into the crash.

Perimeter Aviation president Mark Wehrle said six staff from Perimeter and Keewatin were heading to the community.

"We're arranging to go up and meet with the community and all the people involved and work with the authorities to determine the cause and go from there."

Nunavut Premier Eva Aariak expressed her condolences in a statement.

"It is with profound sadness that I offer my condolences to everyone affected by the tragic plane crash," she said. "During this holiday season, my thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of the infant whose life ended far too soon, to the survivors, and to the entire community of Sanikiluaq."


-- The Canadian Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 24, 2012 A3

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jets vs. Ducks Series promo

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A water lily in full bloom is reflected in the pond at the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden Tuesday afternoon. Standup photo. Sept 11,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)
  • RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS June 23, 2011 Local - A Monarch butterfly is perched on a flower  in the newly opened Butterfly Garden in Assiniboine Park Thursday morning.

View More Gallery Photos


Do you agree with the sale of the Canadian Wheat Board to foreign companies?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google