Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Beaten, set on fire during swarming

Man recovers as suspects in attack remain at large

  • Print

A Winnipeg man is recovering in hospital after he was beaten unconscious and briefly set on fire.

No arrests have been made in the attack, which happened around 3:30 a.m. Saturday in the 100 block of Carriage Road. A resident called 911 after seeing at least six men swarm the helpless victim.

"It was traumatic. It was shocking. It was disturbing. They were like animals," the witness told the Free Press Monday. He doesn't want his name published out of concern for his safety.

Police confirmed the young adult suffered serious injuries, although they aren't life-threatening.

'It was traumatic. It was shocking. It was disturbing. They were like animals'

No other details have been released publicly, including a possible motive for the incident.

"I thought he was dead," said the resident.

He described the attackers as males in their late teens and said they seemed to be impaired at the time.

The incident began with the victim being surrounded and knocked to the ground. The attackers kicked his head and chest.

The witness immediately phoned for emergency help while watching from his window, afraid to go outside and confront the attackers.

"One kicked him in the head so hard his shoe went flying off," he said.

The victim offered no resistance and appeared to be knocked out, the witness said.

That's when at least one of the men set fire to the man's shirt as he lay on the ground.

"It was definitely on fire. One of the men then put it out," he said. The group appeared to be leaving, but a couple of men ran back to the victim and continued the assault.

"They dragged him behind a Dumpster and continued kicking him. Then another couple from the group came back and stopped those guys from continuing. Otherwise, they might have killed him," the witness said.

Police and paramedics arrived moments later to tend to the victim, who appeared to be regaining consciousness.

Police had their helicopter in the air searching for the suspects, who walked away from the scene. They were not located.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 23, 2013 B3

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

The Winnipeg Free Press is not accepting comments on this story.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Hit the dirt with Monster Jam this weekend

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • KEN GIGLIOTTI / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / Jan 10  2011 ‚Äì WEB STDUP ‚Äì Frosty morning at -15 degrees C , in pic frost covers the the Nellie McClung statue  on the MB Legislature grounds at 7am
  • An American White Pelican takes flight from the banks of the Red River in Lockport, MB. A group of pelicans is referred to as a ‘pod’ and the American White Pelican is the only pelican species to have a horn on its bill. May 16, 2012. SARAH O. SWENSON / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos


What should the Esplanade Riel's next tenant be?

View Results

Ads by Google