The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Chinese tycoon visits NYC to sing, help burned women and try to buy The New York Times

  • Print

NEW YORK, N.Y. - A business tycoon who bills himself as China's No. 1 philanthropist told reporters in New York that he has brought two women to the U.S. to undergo surgery for disfiguring burns they suffered when they set themselves on fire in Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 2001.

Chen Guangbiao, who made his fortune in recycling, introduced the two women to U.S. and Chinese reporters at an unorthodox and sometimes tense news conference Tuesday at a hotel near Central Park.

Inside a hotel ballroom, Chen began by singing a song he wrote himself, which included the soaring lyric, "The whole world will witness my Chinese dream!"

Then he talked of having a plan to buy The New York Times. He has said the paper, which has published investigations into the enormous wealth amassed by the relatives of Chinese leaders, should be "more authentic and objective" in its coverage of China.

He also warned Americans not to trust the government of Japan, which is involved in a territorial dispute with China over several remote islands.

Finally, Chen had the two women display their horrific burns, which seared off their hands and left their faces masks of scarred flesh.

Outside in the cold, dozens of practitioners of the Falun Gong spiritual movement picketed the event, saying the two burn victims were propaganda tools of the Chinese government.

The women, Hao Huijun and her daughter Chen Guo, were among a group of people who set themselves on fire in the square amid the Chinese government's brutal crackdown on Falun Gong practitioners. One woman and her 12-year-old daughter died.

Months later, the survivors were paraded before reporters by Chinese authorities to denounce Falun Gong as a cult and say they had been deceived into a suicide attempt. The Tiananmen Square incident became the centerpiece of a campaign by Chinese authorities to justify oppression of Falun Gong practitioners.

In brief remarks to reporters in New York, Hao and Chen condemned Falun Gong again.

Some reporters for U.S.-based Chinese media asked the women whether they were actually government plants who staged the immolations to discredit the movement.

"The self-immolation was our own fault," Chen said, through a translator. "We acted on our own behaviour."

Chen said he planned to spend more than $2 million on medical care for the women and brought them to New York because doctors here had said they could restore the women to 80 per cent of their former appearance.

In China, Chen is known as much for his energetic efforts to publicize his charity activities as he is for his giving.

After the devastating 2008 Sichuan earthquake, Chen handed out cash to survivors, then posted photos of them on his website. Critics accused him of harming their dignity, while defenders said Chen's publicity efforts encouraged other wealthy Chinese to give.

Chen has no obvious ties to the ruling Communist Party, but some of his activities are politically tinged.

In 2011, he visited Taiwan and gave $344,000 to the poor on the street, according to Taiwanese media. The money was in envelopes that said "the Chinese people are one family," which some took as a call to reunite the self-ruled island with the communist mainland.

The same year, Chen flew to Japan to give 13 million yen ($150,000) for tsunami aid. According to the newspaper Yangtze Evening News, he travelled around the disaster area in vans draped in giant Chinese flags.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Paul Maurice addresses media at end of 13/14 season

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • Marc Gallant / Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Deer in Canola field near Elma, Manitoba. 060706.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google