The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Disgraced theatre mogul Drabinsky granted full parole after emotional hearing

  • Print
Disgraced theatre mogul Garth Drabinsky is shown in Toronto on March 25, 2009. Drabinsky will serve the last two years of his fraud sentence at home with his family after the Parole Board of Canada granted him full parole Monday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

Enlarge Image

Disgraced theatre mogul Garth Drabinsky is shown in Toronto on March 25, 2009. Drabinsky will serve the last two years of his fraud sentence at home with his family after the Parole Board of Canada granted him full parole Monday. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chris Young

TORONTO - Disgraced theatre mogul Garth Drabinsky will serve the last two years of his fraud sentence at home with his family after the Parole Board of Canada granted him full parole Monday.

The two parole board members hearing Drabinsky's case said any risk to public safety would be "manageable," noting he would still be barred from owning or operating a business or managing money for any other individual, company or charity.

The former impresario is also prohibited from contacting any of his co-accused, including his longtime friend and business partner Myron Gottlieb.

Drabinsky, 64, thanked the panel after an emotional two-hour hearing during which he described the strain of living apart from his family for the past three years while incarcerated and on day parole.

"It has been agonizing for my wife," said Drabinsky, adding he looked forward to being with her and their children at his Toronto home "seven days a week."

His wife, son and daughter attended Monday's hearing but did not address the parole board.

Drabinsky's initial bid for full parole in December failed because that panel couldn't reach a unanimous decision.

He has been living in a halfway house since his release on day parole last February.

The ex-CEO of the now defunct Livent Inc. and Gottlieb were convicted in 2009 in connection with a book-cooking scheme that eventually led to the company's bankruptcy.

The demise of the publicly traded company ultimately cost investors an estimated $500 million.

Under questioning Monday, Drabinsky blamed his fear of failure for the company's collapse, saying it blinded him to the financial irregularities taking place on his watch.

"I didn't want to fail and I didn't want my company to fail," he said.

That fear no longer compels him, he said.

"I no longer need to build empires... I no longer need public acclaim for my accomplishments."

Since his release, Drabinsky has been working as an entertainment consultant for Ambassador Entertainment Inc., a company set up in the trust of his wife and children.

But so far, he hasn't been paid his full salary, he admitted Monday.

That prompted the panel to question how Drabinsky would reimburse roughly $7 million he borrowed from family and friends to cover his legal costs — and whether the financial pressure could put him at risk of reoffending.

The former theatre impresario pointed to 10 letters in which his creditors —several of whom were victims of Drabinsky's fraud — said they had no intention of reclaiming the money anytime soon.

"I wish I had your friends," quipped Lubomyr Luciuk, one the panel members.

Drabinsky argued the letters prove he won't have "a gun to (his) head" that could lead him to seek cash at all costs.

He swore never to forget his "harmful actions" — and never to repeat them.

"They are indelible and will haunt me for the rest of my days," he said.

Earlier this month, Drabinsky lost his fight to reclaim the Order of Canada that was stripped away as he served his prison sentence.

He is still battling a move by Ontario's law society that could result in him losing his license. A hearing on the matter has been scheduled for March.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Kevin Cheveldayoff announces Maurice contract extension

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Local-(  Standup photo)-    A butterfly looks for nector on a lily Tuesday afternoon in Wolseley-JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS- June 22, 2010
  • A gaggle of Canada geese goslings at Woodsworth Park in Winnipeg Monday- See Project Honk Day 05- May 07, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What are you most looking forward to this Easter weekend?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google