The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Following pasta flap, top Montreal resto takes language office troubles public

  • Print

MONTREAL - One of Canada's most famous restaurants has come forward with its own tale of troubles with Quebec's language watchdog, days after a flap over the word pasta made international headlines.

Montreal's Joe Beef, which has been featured on international cooking shows and has a best-selling book, is the latest restaurant to complain about the Office quebecois de la langue francaise.

This time it apparently came down to some wall art containing English words.

Owner David McMillan said inspectors took issue with a memento from a Prince Edward Island beach that says "exit" and an antique sign above the staff bathroom that says "please leave this gate closed."

They thought another item, an old sign from a Tennessee butcher, was part of the restaurant's menu, he said.

McMillan said he was shocked by the lack of understanding of the inspectors, who were young and seemed like "deer in headlights."

He said the visit left a sour taste, but added he has no plans to move his celebrated restaurant elsewhere any time soon.

"I love Quebec... but it's not getting any easier," McMillan, who is completely bilingual, said in an interview Saturday.

"My wife is French, my business partner is French, my children go to French school, but I just get so sad and depressed and wonder, what's wrong with these people?"

McMillan decided to keep most of the art up, except for the bathroom sign, which he wanted to take home.

The restaurant wasn't threatened with a fine and they haven't heard from the language cops recently, he said.

"We wrote a letter back, explaining how each one of the items mentioned was a gift, a memento... stuff that restaurants have on walls," he said.

The office could not be reached for comment Saturday.

McMillan stressed that the restaurant's menu is in French only and all the staff are bilingual.

The Joe Beef cook book, which McMillan has called "a love affair with this province," includes tributes to traditional Quebec cooking and culture. It was published in both French and English.

Inspectors visited the restaurant four or five months ago, McMillan said, but he only decided to come forward after an Italian restaurant revealed earlier this week that it had been targeted for using Italian words — including "pasta" — on its menu.

The OQLF backed down after the case erupted into a media frenzy, citing an exception for cultural products. McMillan said the public outcry over that incident gave him the courage to come forward.

"When we first started getting letters from them and the visits from the inspectors, we were just scared of doing anything," he said.

"I had enough followers on Twitter to make a stink out of it, but we just felt alone."

Under the Parti Quebecois government, the OQLF has received a six per cent budget increase this year, to $24.7 million, in an effort to protect the French language.

Many linguistic nationalists worry that any erosion of French in Montreal could, eventually, lead to its disappearance.

But following the controversy coined "pastagate" online, the government minister responsible said the agency would be more careful in future.

It was a significant swing for the PQ, which had pushed for stricter enforcement of the province's language laws while in opposition.

On Saturday, Quebec Liberal leadership candidate Raymond Bachand also weighed in, saying on Twitter that overzealous language inspectors are damaging to the province's reputation.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Stuary Murray announces musical RightsFest for CMHR opening weekend

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Young goslings are growing up quickly near Cresent Lake in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba- See Bryksa 30 Day goose project- Day 11- May 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Marc Gallant / Winnipeg Free Press.  Local- (Standup Photo). Watcher in the woods. A young deer peers from the forest while eating leaves by Cricket Drive in Assiniboine Park. A group of eight deer were seen in the park. 060508.

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you like Gord Steeves’ idea to sell four city-owned golf courses to fund road renewal?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google