Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

It's official: Blue name CFL rookie Hall starting QB

  • Print

For the second time this season, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers are going to hand the ball to a first-time starting quarterback.

Max Hall will be at the controls when the Bombers meet the Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Investors Group Field Friday night.

That news leaked out late Sunday night and was confirmed Monday when Hall took most of the first-team reps at practice on the grounds of the University of Manitoba.

"I have a great opportunity and I want to take advantage of it and play the best I can to help get this team a win," Hall, the 27-year-old from Arizona said after practice.

Winnipeg started veteran Buck Pierce in its first four games this season. He took a hellacious blow to the mid-section in that fourth game and yielded to Justin Goltz. Between Games 5 and 6 of the season, the Bombers declared Goltz their new starter, but at 1-5 after last week's 27-20 loss at B.C. and Pierce and Goltz a combined 109 for 185 passes this season, GM Joe Mack walked the plank and Goltz has been relegated to a backup role.

Asked if he had seen any indications his promotion was coming, Hall said he didn't.

"No one really knew what was going to happen going into the bye week," he said. "Like I said, this is the decision they made and I'm going to do my best to fulfill the role of the leader on the offence and get a win."

Hall is untested in the CFL, having played just parts of two exhibition games in June and never taking a regular-season snap.

But he has some experience, one factor a lot of folks seem to forget.

Hall was the starter for the NFL's Arizona Cardinals in three games in 2010 and appeared in a total of six games.

The Brigham Young product was 39 of 78 for 370 yards and one touchdown in those games.

Hall repeated Monday it has taken him some time to get a feel for the different CFL game.

"I feel prepared," he said. "I will say it took me a while to get used to the CFL game but I feel comfortable. I feel ready and I feel confident."

Hall knows very well how the Bombers offence has struggled this season but said Monday he wants a chance to make a difference and believes he has some tools to offer.

"Obviously they see something in me," he said. "I think I get the ball out on time. I think I'm accurate. I think I move around in the pocket well enough to avoid pressure. So I'm going to do everything I can, meeting with the guys, getting on the same page, working on stuff afterwards to make sure the little things we're missing we can correct and we can make the plays we're missing in the games right now."

Head coach Tim Burke was grilled Monday about the decision on Hall.

He said the choice was left to the offensive coaches and co-ordinator Gary Crowton.

"One of the things we wanted to make sure of was that we weren't mandating to the offensive coaches who was going to play at quarterback," Burke said. "This was totally the decision of the offensive staff. Gary and the coaching staff on offence unanimously and passionately chose Max to be the quarterback.

"There was no pressure from anybody to make that decision."

Burke wouldn't comment on whether it was Mack's call to promote Goltz two weeks ago, instead turning to this week's decision.

"Let's just say that the offensive staff feels like it gives us a better chance to win this week," he said. "I stated my opinion, what I thought, but I'm not going to handcuff them. That's not my job. My job is to facilitate them.

"I do know our offensive scheme. I do know the plays, the quarterback reads and all that. I think the reason our offensive staff felt like Max was the guy was that he processed the reads faster and has a quicker release. They feel he'll make decisions quicker."

tim.campbell@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 13, 2013 C1

History

Updated on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 at 6:37 AM CDT: Replaces photo

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Wasylycia-Leis says Bowman and Ouellette ran a good campaign

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A red squirrel peaks out of the shade in a tree in East Fort Garry, Sunday, September 9, 2012. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you support Pimicikamak First Nation's protest against Manitoba Hydro?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google