The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

No options considered in calling off search of collapsed mall, inquiry told

  • Print

ELLIOT LAKE, Ont. - The head of the disaster team responding to last year's deadly mall collapse admitted Wednesday to calling off the search for survivors without looking for options for proceeding.

Toronto police Staff Insp. Bill Neadles testified he made the decision, which came just hours after signs of life were detected in the debris and which infuriated the community, for fear the rescue had become too dangerous.

In a discussion that lasted a few minutes two days after part of the rooftop garage caved in killing two women, the head of rescue operations told Neadles further collapse of the Algo Centre Mall was imminent.

"The recommendation to me was that we remove all of the workers from the building," Neadles testified.

"They'd already been pulled out but then I went one step further to say we would not at this point in time be going back in."

He would soon inform family members the rescue was over but denied telling them the bodies would be recovered during a demolition of the mall — something he did tell the media afterward.

Angry town residents began trash-tweeting the search team, and some demonstrated, prompting Neadles to warn his members to stay off the streets to avoid confrontations.

The decision to end the search came after Neadles had reported publicly that a "life detector" had picked up breathing in the inaccessible rubble early that morning. He did not mention being told the finding was in fact unreliable.

Neadles said he had pressed ahead with the search until it got too dangerous, despite the opinion of a team doctor that the likelihood of finding anyone alive would be a "miracle."

"I knew in my head that this was going to be a very difficult situation for anyone to survive," Neadles said.

"But my heart was telling me that I still need to go forward with continuing this."

He called it "regrettable" that he had not asked for advice on whether there might have been some way to continue the search.

Unlike was reported at the time, Neadles said the Ministry of Labour played no role in calling off the rescue — which was restarted later that evening after a phone call with then-premier Dalton McGuinty.

In the call, McGuinty asked for an explanation as to why the search was stopped, and if there was a possibility — no matter how remote — of saving a victim who was possibly still alive.

Neadles undertook to reassess the situation, the inquiry heard.

The mall collapse on June 23, 2012, killed Doloris Perizzolo, 74, and Lucie Aylwin, 37, whose bodies were recovered four days later.

While the coroner has testified both women died quickly, the inquiry heard Wednesday that police heard tapping in the rubble about 20 hours after the cave-in.

However, rescuers were unable to get to the source of the sound because of the debris and precarious state of the building.

Neadles, who commanded the Toronto-based Heavy Urban Search and Rescue team, admitted to lapses in communications as various plans to get to the area were devised.

At times, he appeared to operate in a strange vacuum.

On one occasion, he reported a crane would be deployed but the person in charge of operations did not know about it.

"It's really quite astounding that your operations' chief didn't know there were going to be crane operations," commission lawyer Mark Wallace said.

On Tuesday, a crane company owner who also responded to the mall collapse testified he thought the search team was useless.

The mall collapse occurred when a support beam weld failed due to rust from years of water and salt penetration.

Neadles returns to the stand for a third day Thursday.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jets hope to give fans a good show for first home playoff game in 19 years

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A gosling stares near water at Omands Creek Park-See Bryksa 30 day goose challenge- Day 25– June 21, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A water lily in full bloom is reflected in the pond at the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden Tuesday afternoon. Standup photo. Sept 11,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos


Do you think the Jets will win Game 4 on Wednesday?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google