The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Man who gunned down B.C. teen gets life sentence without parole for 16 years

  • Print

VANCOUVER - Harry Randhawa's eyes welled with tears as he spoke of his murdered teenage cousin moments after her killer was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 16 years.

"We're happy with the judge's decision, as far as happiness can go. There's no joy in this for us, Randhawa said. "Over 14 years, we've gone through tremendous suffering."

"That sends a strong message that does tell everyone around us that our daughters matter, our sisters matter — that you can't harm somebody that people care about, that people love, without doing tremendous damage," he added.

The sentence, handed down in British Columbia Supreme Court on Wednesday, wraps up 14 years of investigations and court proceedings in the quest to put 18-year-old Poonam Randhawa's ex-boyfriend behind bars.

Randhawa's killer, 35-year-old Ninderjit Singh, stood with eyes fixed on the ground as the judge read his sentence.

In his ruling, BC Supreme Court Justice Bruce Butler said Singh continually put his own interests above those of the victim's family and prolonged their fear and suffering, a key reason why he did not follow the defence recommendation that Singh be eligible for parole after 10 years.

Butler said Ninderjit Singh displayed few true signs of remorse or rehabilitation, considering he spent 12 years attempting to evade police and continued to bully the women in his life.

Singh's 23-year-old Canadian-born wife, whom he met and married while on the run from police in the U.S., burst into sobs as he was escorted into custody.

There were no signs of emotion from Singh, however, who court heard last month shot Randhawa in 1999 at point-blank range with an illegal semi-automatic handgun in the back of a friend's car.

The then-21 year old dumped Randhawa's body in a pile of shattered glass in a Vancouver alleyway, before disappearing across the border to the United States.

The court heard the murder was motivated by jealousy — Singh was outraged that Randhawa had stopped seeing him when she changed schools. Singh stalked the teen for days leading up to Jan. 26, 1999 finally tracking her down for that final, fatal confrontation.

Singh spent the next 12 years on the run from the law in places like Washington and California, the court heard he gained 65 pounds, grew his beard and hair, lived under an alias, and even attempted to undergo an operation to alter his fingerprints before he was caught.

He was arrested in August 2011 and extradited back to Canada to face the murder charge.

Singh pleaded guilty last month to second-degree murder, which comes with an automatic life sentence. All that was left for the judge to decide was the number of years Singh would serve in jail before being eligible for parole.

While defence lawyer Russ Chamberlain was seeking the minimum period of 10 years, the Crown wanted a tougher sentence and asked for 17 to 20 years.

The Crown argued Singh had a history of violence with women in his life, citing another occasion where he'd pushed Randhawa to the ground, kicked and punched her outside her home.

The defence claimed the death of Singh's father and his "dysfunctional" upbringing should be taken into account, as should his role as an upstanding father, husband and member of his local Sikh temple.

His crime, Chamberlain argued, stemmed from "human emotions, jealousy and a desire to control others."

"It wasn't a cruel hunting down of this woman to kill her," he added.

Crown lawyer Sandra Cunningham said she's "very satisfied" with the judge's decision because it finally brings some closure for the victim's family.

"We are extremely relieved for Poonam Randhawa's family and friends, that their long ordeal is finally over. We are grateful to the Vancouver City police department ... for (their) tireless commitment to finding Ninderjit Singh," Cunningham said.

"Our system of justice has prevailed," she said. "Even after 14-and-a-half years."

Harry Randhawa said his family can finally breathe again now that they've received justice.

"As of today we move forward as a family — we look toward the future and remember the beautiful things that Poonam did in her life, what she meant to us, " Randhawa said, speaking on behalf a large crowd of friends and family members who attended the sentencing.

"We have tremendous gratitude to the VPD and every police officer who worked on this case from start to finish and didn't give up," he said, his voice choking.

"There's no words to explain how devastated our entire family has been, particularly my aunt and uncle. It's been a horrendous ordeal and the pain of her loss will continue for the rest of our lives. She was an integral part of our family. She'll always be missed."

Note to readers: This is a corrected story. A previous version said Randhawa died Jan. 23.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Jets players discuss outcome of Game 3 and hopes for Game 4

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Local- Korea Veterans Association stained glass window at Deer Lodge Centre. Dedication with Minister of Veterans Affairs Dr. Rey Pagtakhan. March 12, 2003.
  • A female Mallard duck leads a group of duckings on a morning swim through the reflections in the Assiniboine River at The Forks Monday.     (WAYNE GLOWACKI/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS) Winnipeg Free Press  June 18 2012

View More Gallery Photos


Do you think the Jets will win Game 4 on Wednesday?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google