The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Laborer asks China's 2nd-richest man for a job, then attacks him for denying the request

  • Print

BEIJING, China - Chinese police detained a labourer who approached China's second-richest man to ask for a job and then attacked and injured the company chairman when he denied the request, state media reported Wednesday.

Zong Qinghou, chairman of food and beverage giant Hangzhou Wahaha Group, is recovering from injuries to his left hand after Friday's attack in the eastern city of Hangzhou, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

Citing Hangzhou police, Xinhua identified the suspect as a 49-year-old migrant worker surnamed Yang from the neighbouring province of Jiangsu. It said Yang borrowed 30,000 yuan ($5,000) earlier this year and travelled to Hangzhou in search of work.

Yang sought out Zong near his home after watching a television program about the businessman's assistance to migrant workers and asked the man for a job with his company, Xinhua said.

It said Yang attacked Zong after his job request was turned down.

Calls to police in Hangzhou, and to local officials, seeking comment went unanswered.

Zong had been China's richest man, but fell to the second place this year with total wealth of nearly $19 billion. He founded Wahaha and built it into China's largest beverage manufacturer.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Willy wants to get back to winning

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Aerial view of Portage and Main, The Esplanade Riel, Provencher Bridge over the Red River, The Canadian Museum for Human Rights and The Forks near the Assiniboine River, October 21st, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS) CMHR
  • Water lilys are reflected in the pond at the Leo Mol Sculpture Garden Tuesday afternoon. Standup photo. Sept 11,  2012 (Ruth Bonneville/Winnipeg Free Press)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Are you worried Ebola might make its way to Canada?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google