July 29, 2015


Latest News

Lac-Megantic train engineer speaks for first time, through lawyer; says he's 'devastated'

A first public glimpse of the disaster site in Lac-Megantic left stunned visitors staring Tuesday at three-storey buildings reduced to piles of brick, road asphalt melted into bubbly tar, and pine trees scorched into sticks of charcoal.
Burnt rail tankers are still steaming with heat, a week after the explosions. The temperature near the blast site remains, according to authorities, 10 to 20 degrees higher than elsewhere.
Until Tuesday, only civil authorities and visiting politicians had viewed the site.
News media were allowed behind the walls of the security perimeter for the first time, in order to let them observe the scene and share what they saw with the broader public.
Visitors weren't entirely prepared for what they saw when they ventured onto the site — which Prime Minister Stephen Harper had previously described a
Mechanical diggers clanged as they dug through the rubble alongside a group of a dozen firefighters and search crews. Those crews found one more body Tuesday — the 38th recovered on the site. Fifty people are believed to have died in the disaster.
Police gave strict instructions about what images could be shown for fear of upsetting the families of victims, or compromising the investigation.
Only one TV cameraman, one web-video journalist, one photographer, and one radio reporter were allowed to record inside the perimeter. The images gathered from Tuesday morning's media pool were shared with other news outlets, then released to the public.
Along the town's main strip, a row of buildings on either side had been completely destroyed in the explosions, while in the other direction storefronts and cafe patios were undamaged.
That's because the scalding oil leaked downhill, towards the lake, bringing flames that roared through everything in their wake, police said.
The only marker for Musi-Cafe, the popular bar where many people died, was a tent put up to shade workers as they searched for bodies.
The burnt tanker cars, once filled with crude oil, remained smashed and piled together 10 days after a fast-moving runaway train derailed near the centre of town.
Work continues at the crash site of the train derailment and fire.
The aftermath of a train derailment and fire is seen in Lac-Megantic, Que., on Tuesday, July 16, 2013.
Investigators gather under a tent as they search for victims through rubble in Lac-Megantic, Que., Sunday.
The aftermath of a train derailment and fire is seen in Lac-Megantic on Tuesday.
A memorial to victims of the the Lac-Megantic, Que., train derailment and fire is seen in a church in Lac-Megantic on Tuesday, July 16, 2013.
A first public glimpse of the disaster site in Lac-Megantic left stunned visitors staring Tuesday at three-storey buildings reduced to piles of brick, road asphalt melted into bubbly tar, and pine trees scorched into sticks of charcoal. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Burnt rail tankers are still steaming with heat, a week after the explosions. The temperature near the blast site remains, according to authorities, 10 to 20 degrees higher than elsewhere. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Until Tuesday, only civil authorities and visiting politicians had viewed the site. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
News media were allowed behind the walls of the security perimeter for the first time, in order to let them observe the scene and share what they saw with the broader public. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Visitors weren't entirely prepared for what they saw when they ventured onto the site — which Prime Minister Stephen Harper had previously described a "war zone" after he visited. The destruction was so shocking that one local reporter burst into tears. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Mechanical diggers clanged as they dug through the rubble alongside a group of a dozen firefighters and search crews. Those crews found one more body Tuesday — the 38th recovered on the site. Fifty people are believed to have died in the disaster. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Police gave strict instructions about what images could be shown for fear of upsetting the families of victims, or compromising the investigation. Only one TV cameraman, one web-video journalist, one photographer, and one radio reporter were allowed to record inside the perimeter. The images gathered from Tuesday morning's media pool were shared with other news outlets, then released to the public. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Along the town's main strip, a row of buildings on either side had been completely destroyed in the explosions, while in the other direction storefronts and cafe patios were undamaged. That's because the scalding oil leaked downhill, towards the lake, bringing flames that roared through everything in their wake, police said. The only marker for Musi-Cafe, the popular bar where many people died, was a tent put up to shade workers as they searched for bodies. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
The burnt tanker cars, once filled with crude oil, remained smashed and piled together 10 days after a fast-moving runaway train derailed near the centre of town. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Work continues at the crash site of the train derailment and fire. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
The aftermath of a train derailment and fire is seen in Lac-Megantic, Que., on Tuesday, July 16, 2013. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
Investigators gather under a tent as they search for victims through rubble in Lac-Megantic, Que., Sunday. - Jacques Boissinot / The Canadian Press
The aftermath of a train derailment and fire is seen in Lac-Megantic on Tuesday. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press
A memorial to victims of the the Lac-Megantic, Que., train derailment and fire is seen in a church in Lac-Megantic on Tuesday, July 16, 2013. - Ryan Remiorz / The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - The train engineer at the centre of the Lac-Megantic disaster investigation is emotionally "devastated" by the tragic event, his lawyer says.

Tom Harding has vanished from public sight and his lawyer's comments Tuesday shed some light on how he has responded to the tragedy.

The aftermath of a train derailment and fire is seen in Lac-Megantic on Tuesday.

RYAN REMIORZ / THE CANADIAN PRESS

The aftermath of a train derailment and fire is seen in Lac-Megantic on Tuesday.

Lawyer Thomas Walsh said his client has been staying at an undisclosed location in the province, on his advice, to avoid the constant barrage of journalists at his Eastern Townships home.

Walsh said he's hoping to get Harding some psychological help.

He said the last 10 days have been difficult for everyone affected by the train derailment — including his client, who was at the helm of the train hours before it destroyed part of Lac-Megantic.

"I used the word 'devastated' and I think that's one word that's applicable, but he's very, very low," Walsh said from his Sherbrooke, Que. offices.

"We're looking to organize something to see if he can meet with someone more professional."

Harding's role is a central question in ongoing investigations into the tragedy; his own company called him a hero one day, then announced the next that he had been suspended amid concerns about his role in the disaster.

He is also named as one of the defendants in an attempted class-action suit.

One key question is whether the veteran railman applied the appropriate number of hand-brakes before ending his shift for the night.

Walsh said Harding has been co-operating fully with authorities and has given his version to authorities investigating the event.

"He was interviewed for a long period of time by the Surete du Quebec (police) and by the safety investigators from Transport Canada last week," Walsh said.

The lawyer said Harding has not been arrested and hasn't been charged with any crime stemming from the accident.

As such, there are no legal conditions placed on his client.

Edward Burkhardt, the head of the rail company, had told reporters last week that his engineer was under "police control" as the subject of a criminal investigation.

"Nothing (of the sort)," Walsh said Tuesday in response to that statement.

"He's talking through his hat, as far as I can see."

The lawyer said it was his own idea for Harding to go into hiding.

"On my advice, (he) got out of circulation and the basic reason is ... I felt that he had to get some place where he wasn't going to be constantly faced with journalists," the lawyer said.

"He really, really, really needed some time to recover from what is for him, and a lot of other people involved in this thing, a severe shock," Walsh added. "It's a very traumatic experience and it's not something that you deal with in a short period of time."

He said Harding still has the support of his family and union and they are trying to get him some professional help.

He can't say the same about the railway.

"He's not getting any (help) from the company as far as I know," said Walsh. "Quite to the contrary, the president (Burkhardt) is pointing at him as the responsible person so that's a pretty dead end."

Walsh declined to comment on reports about Harding being suspended. Burkhardt had said he was suspended and, subject to the proper disciplinary steps, would not likely work for the railway again.

"As far as I'm concerned, that sounds more like a dismissal," Walsh said.

"I think he's in a kind of never-never land right now."

On July 5, Harding finished work and left the train unattended to sleep at a local inn shortly before it barrelled into town and exploded, killing an estimated 50 people.

In interviews, witnesses have shared details with The Canadian Press about that night.

Andre Turcotte, a local cabbie who picked up Harding from work, said the idling train was expelling more smoke than usual. He remembered seeing oil droplets landing on his car, and asking Harding twice about it. He said Harding responded that he'd followed the proper procedures before retiring to the inn.

Catherine Pomerleau-Pelletier, an inn employee where Harding stayed, said the engineer had a look of terror on his face as he bolted from his room upon hearing the explosion.

Local man Serge Morin said Harding later helped him, and a group of locals, in their frantic effort to detach some of the tankers that didn't overturn.

He said Harding's knowledge helped them depressurize the train's airbrakes, which enabled them to move some of the cars to safety.

Harding has not spoken publicly about those events and he will remain out of sight for a yet-to-be-determined period, Walsh said.

"It's going to depend on a couple of factors — one of them is going to be his own mental health and to what extent he feels strong enough to come out," Walsh said.

The idea of making any kind of public statement is not something Walsh has raised with his client.

"I would actually advise him not to," Walsh said.

"I think we're better to let the dust settle and find out the specifics from the investigators — maybe if there are some specifics, he might want to respond to them."

Walsh, a Sherbrooke, Que.-based attorney, said he was hired by the family last week. He said for now, his role is to act as an intermediary between authorities and his client and a sort of buffer to others.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Scroll down to load more

Top