The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Russia denies entry to Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty journalist

  • Print

MOSCOW - Russia said Tuesday it has barred a journalist for U.S.-funded Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty from the country for five years over a visa infraction, a charge rejected by the veteran American journalist, who described it as "bureaucratic trickery" to keep him out of the country.

The barring of David Satter, who has written several books about Russia, appears to reflect the Kremlin's nervousness about critical opinion before next month's Winter Olympics in Sochi.

Satter has been strongly critical of the games, which Vladimir Putin has made a priority of his presidency. In a recent commentary posted on CNN's website, Satter criticized the International Olympic Committee's "irresponsibility" in choosing Sochi and warned that it could lead to "one of the greatest catastrophes in the history of the Olympics."

Satter began working in September for RFE/RL, which is funded by the U.S. Congress to support human rights, democracy and other U.S. priorities.

Marie Harf, deputy spokeswoman of the U.S. State Department, said Tuesday the U.S. is disappointed that Russian authorities denied a visa to Satter and is monitoring his case.

"The U.S. Embassy in Moscow has raised our concerns on this case and the treatment of journalists and media organizations in general with Russian authorities. As we've said many times before, hindering the free flow of information undermines the kind of open environment for free debate and discussion that supports innovation and dynamisms," said Harf.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said the U.S. journalist had not applied for an extension of his visa within the prescribed time. Satter argued that the case was bureaucratic obfuscation, and RFE/RL President Kevin Klose said in a statement that barring Satter from entering Russia was a "fundamental violation of the right of free speech."

Satter insisted that the ministry had promised him a new visa, but failed to provide a letter of support on time, causing the migration agency to declare him in violation of visa rules. Satter left Russia on Dec. 4 on a court order and tried to obtain a new visa in Ukraine, but he said a Russian diplomat there read him a statement on Dec. 25 saying that Russian "competent organs" considered his presence in the country "undesirable."

Satter, speaking from London, said the Russian explanation "is a case of just bureaucratic trickery."

Klose said the U.S. Embassy has lodged a protest with the Foreign Ministry.

Satter, 66, first worked in Moscow in 1976-1982 as a correspondent of the British newspaper Financial Times, and has written extensively about the Soviet Union and Russia since then. His books include "Darkness at Dawn: the Rise of the Russian Criminal State," which focuses on the alleged role of Russian security agencies in apartment building explosions in 1999 that triggered the second war in Chechnya. An abridged Russian-language version was published recently in Moscow.

"To say that I'm not allowed on the territory of the Russian Federation at the request of the security services — this I haven't seen applied to a journalist in my entire career of writing about Russia," he said.

The expulsion of Western reporters was common during Cold War times, and the Kremlin has revived the practice in recent years. In 2011, Russia denied entry to Luke Harding, a Moscow correspondent for the London-based Guardian. In 2012, French freelance journalist Anne Nivat had her business visa cancelled after she tried to gather information about opposition groups in the provinces.

Satter's expulsion will likely further strain U.S.-Russian ties, which have been hurt by disputes over Washington's missile defence plans, Russia's rights record and Ukraine, which in November ditched a pact with the European Union in exchange for a $15 billion bailout package from Russia.

Some Russian commentators criticized the government's decision to expel Satter, saying that it would only hurt the Kremlin's efforts to polish Russia's image before the Olympics.

"Whoever made this decision is a fool who has inflicted much more damage on Russia than any spy," Viktor Kremenyuk, a deputy director of the state-funded U.S.A. and Canada Institute, said in an online commentary.

---

AP correspondent Deb Riechmann contributed from Washington.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

RMTC preview of Good People

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • The sun peers through the fog to illuminate a tree covered in hoar frost near Headingley, Manitoba Thursday- Standup photo- February 02, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • Two baby tigers were unveiled at the Assiniboine Park Zoo this morning, October 3rd, 2011. (TREVOR HAGAN/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you agree with the province’s crackdown on flavoured tobacco products?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google