Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 12/9/2012 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 12/9/2012 10:28 AM | Updates
Cold enough for ya? Don't even ask Cory Ciunyk.
On Saturday, when the wind chill was -26, the North End renter had been without heat for four days.
The tenant called the owner and the city Wednesday when the furnace went on the fritz.
While waiting for someone to fix it, the Pritchard Avenue resident used the stove and a space heater his mom gave him to heat the tiny suite he rents in a rundown house. When the stove quit working, he'd had enough. He's worried the water pipes will freeze and then there will be an even bigger problem.
He decided to go public Saturday in the hope that someone will do something.
Ciunyk, 41, is on disability assistance after smoke inhalation from a 2002 house fire damaged his lungs. He receives a shelter allowance of $285 and the monthly rent for his two-room suite is $353.
"Where am I supposed to move?" he asked, wheezing as he padded around his cramped home in slippers and multiple layers of clothing.
"I'm sleeping in a coat with blankets and a hood pulled over my head."
The house has four suites but just one other is occupied now, he said. Social assistance pays his rent directly to the landlord, he said.
Ciunyk said he checked the furnace himself and the pilot light won't stay lit. For days, he has been texting and phoning his landlord, who was out of town. He also repeatedly called the backup number the landlord left in case he wasn't available.
"I couldn't get hold of either one."
On Wednesday, Ciunyk called the City of Winnipeg's 311 number.
A bylaw enforcement officer came and checked the place out and issued an order for the furnace to be fixed, he said. Nothing has been done since then.
Ciunyk has had two landlords and three property managers at the place he's lived in for just over a year. The landlord he has now is a man in his 20s who owns a plumbing and heating business, he said. The landlord did not respond to a request for comment.
"He seems like a nice guy," said his tenant.
It's not a nice place, though, Ciunyk acknowledged. Since moving in, he's complained about bedbugs and mice, he said. The cold is too much, though, he said.
"I can't deal with this."
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition December 9, 2012 A3
Updated on Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 10:28 AM CST: Corrects reference to wind chill
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
MTS says services have been restored
City acknowledges fraud hotline
Slain soldiers Canada's Newsmaker of the Year
Bisons football coach missing Vanier championship ring
Ashton announces he's running for NDP leader
AP sources: NYC congressman to plead guilty
Nelson proposes plan to sue province over child welfare
Maurice says Hutchinson, Pavelec rotation to continue for Jets
British singer Joe Cocker dies of lung cancer
Aboriginal MP first to see own bill become law
Man charged with attempted murder of 6-year-old
Ex-officer not charged in fatal US shooting
Man charged with manslaughter in May death
All about beating Tories: Oswald
New Transcona Boulevard offically opens today
Cdn devastated over outcome of related trial
Ottawa posts $3.2B deficit for October
École Sacré-Coeur will reopen as scheduled despite weekend fire
AP poll: Police killings of blacks voted top story of 2014
Selkirk RCMP looking for suspect in robbery
TripAdvisor fined $600,000 by Italian anti-trust
Woman fatally shot at Myanmar mine protest
Final hampers set to be delivered as charity awaits donations
Snow today as warm weather continues
Spain: Princess Cristina to be tried for fraud
RCMP search of Caspian Construction's office complete
New CEO for Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries
Man charged after SUV stolen with baby inside
Jets deliver lump of coal
Killers condemned, victims supported
Manitoba drops 10,900 payroll employees from October 2013
As attitudes mellow, could legal pot be next?
A dozen football fans injured in lightning strike
Nutcracker delivers seasonal delight
Manitobans below average in spending time with family at Christmas: survey
Maple Leaf closing plant on Panet Road
Suspects arrested after home invasion
Seattle could be back in Arizona for Super Bowl
Nordik Group's $11-million Thermëa spa opens Jan. 15
Magnotta jury will return for an eighth day