The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Posted: 04/26/2013 5:25 AM | Comments: 0
Last Modified: 04/26/2013 5:08 PM
TAMPA, Fla. - The idea behind the Tampa Woman's Club charity event was simple. For $20, you could buy a flute of champagne and a chance to win a one-carat, $5,000 diamond.
Organizers of the Saturday afternoon event placed $10 cubic zirconia stones in the bottom of 399 of the 400 champagne glasses. The prized diamond, donated by Continental Wholesale Diamonds, was placed in the last.
The problem? Miriam Tucker, 80, accidentally swallowed it.
Tucker told local media that she didn't want to put her finger in the glass to get the jewel. Instead she took a few sips of champagne. As she was talking and laughing with other women at the table, she realized she swallowed the jewel.
"What a dumb thing," she said.
Meanwhile, organizers and jewelers Joy Pierson and Andy Meyer were puzzled that no one came forward with the diamond.
"We knew the winner had to be at one of two tables," Pierson said, who along with Meyer examined each stone with probes and a loupe.
As they hovered near the table, Tucker eventually spoke up. "She said she swallowed what was in her glass," Pierson said.
Event chairwoman Gina Roth insisted that Tucker follow her to a hospital for an X-ray. The diamond didn't show up, but Tucker already had a colonoscopy scheduled for Monday.
She told Dr. Bruce Edgerton what happened and he retrieved the diamond, put it in a biohazard bag and gave it to Tucker's daughter. After the procedure, they went to a jewelry store and had the diamond cleaned, tested and verified.
"It's an amazing story," said Tucker, who hasn't decided on a setting for the diamond. She plans to bequeath it to her 13-year-old granddaughter, where the diamond will "stay in the family with a story to go with it."
The jewelers said they've participated in other charity events in which they held a drawing for a diamond. But this was the first time they used a champagne glass.
"We might change the way we deliver the diamond," Pierson said. "I don't think we'll put it in a glass again."
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories? Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Founding AMC Grand Chief Stevenson remembered for his leadership
Kane to be re-evaluated Monday as Jets prepare for next game
Jets recall Cormier from AHL's IceCaps
Far away, but close to home
Woman spent 23 years searching for family
A touch more Hutch
1 dead, hundreds stranded in Greek ferry disaster
Queen of the arena has storied history
Baby girl mauled by family dog in B.C.
Manitoba premier talks balanced budget
Box Office: 'Hobbit' wins, 'Interview' has strong VOD sales
Bridgewater, Vikings get by Bears 13-9
Egypt: Biblical epic 'Exodus' banned over errors
Plunge into deep-freeze temps means winter is back to normal
No Cdns believed to be on Air Asia plane
Send your tree to a better place
Man dead after police shooting in Surrey, B.C.
Screen time before bed messes with body's clock
NYC police boss: Less rhetoric, more dialogue needed
NewsAlert: 1 person dead in Greece ferry fire
Official support for Spanish princess wanes
Key decisions on drones likely from Congress
US, NATO mark end of mission to Afghanistan
Jets vs. Wild, Dec. 27, 2014