Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION

Wreckage pulled from ocean

U of M halts research on Arctic due to tragedy

  • Print

Transportation Safety Board of Canada

The sunken helicopter wreckage captured underwater by ArcticNet's Remote Operated Vehicle (ROV)

The Transportation Safety Board pulled the twisted wreckage of a helicopter out of the icy Arctic Ocean this week, while the University of Manitoba has suspended research in the area until the summer.

David Barber, a renowned Arctic researcher based out of the University of Manitoba, confirmed the majority of scientists and researchers who were aboard the CCGS Amundsen icebreaker have been sent home following a tragic helicopter crash in McClure Strait that killed three men earlier this month.

University of Manitoba scientist Klaus Hochheim, along with Canadian Coast Guard pilot Daniel Dubé and Amundsen Cmdr. Marc Thibault, died in the crash on a routine flight to check ice conditions ahead of the ship Sept. 9.

"We have no plans to continue with the science this year," Barber, the national research chair of the Arctic Systems Science program, said Thursday.

"We will continue with it next season, so the Amundsen will be back in the Arctic on our normal rotation next July."

That rotation is typically made up of two six-week cycles for research teams, he added.

There was little resistance from researchers to end the program in light of the fatal crash. The need to press pause on the work was unanimous among the researchers, staff and graduate students at the Centre for Earth Observation Science at the U of M (all of whom had seen time aboard the Amundsen), Barber said, given the emotion involved and the absence of a helicopter.

A vital component to the operation, the aircraft is needed to survey areas of the Arctic the Amundsen can't reach. Without it, Barber said, there was just "too much risk" for crew members and researchers to continue their work in the North.

"It's not safe to stay there late in the season like this," the associate dean of research for the faculty of environment at the U of M said, adding five researchers stayed on board the Amundsen to help support federal investigators. "The Amundsen was scheduled to be the last icebreaker to come out of the Arctic. It would have been there by itself, and so it just didn't make sense from a risk perspective to do that."

Barber said researchers normally remain on the ice through the middle of October, with the vessel back in Quebec City the first week of November.

Barber said efforts are underway to secure another helicopter for the Amundsen, noting the icebreaker is the only ship outfitted with the equipment researchers need.

Wednesday, the Transportation Safety Board successfully secured the fallen Messerschmitt BO-105 chopper using the Amundsen and another icebreaker, the CCGS Henry Larsen.

The Amundsen operated an unmanned vehicle down to the ocean floor while the Larsen assisted by clearing ice from the area.

The wreckage was raised to the surface and hoisted onto the deck of the Amundsen. It was transferred to the Larsen. Both icebreakers were en route to Resolute, NT., Thursday.

Federal transportation investigators will examine the chopper at an undisclosed location.

It's unclear how long the analysis of the wreckage will take. It's believed the helicopter was not equipped with a flight data recorder, making the investigation that much more difficult.

Post-mortem examinations on Hochheim, Dubé and Thibault have suggested the three men died from cold-water immersion, Cathy Menard, chief coroner of the Northwest Territories, said last week.

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 27, 2013 A8


Updated on Friday, September 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM CDT: Replaces photo, adds slideshow

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes


  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.


Make text: Larger | Smaller


Andrew Ladd talks about his injury

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A golfer looks for his ball in a water trap at John Blumberg Golf Course Friday afternoon as geese and goslings run for safety- See Joe Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge- Day 24– June 15, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • A Canada goose flies towards the sun near the Perimeter Highway North and Main St Monday afternoon – See Day 10 for Bryksa’s 30 goose project - May 11, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos


Are you concerned about the number of homicides so far this year?

View Results

Ads by Google