Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

New-home construction sees continued decline

  • Print

New-home construction activity declined for the fourth straight month in the Winnipeg area in March.

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) said homebuilders began work on 521 new single- and multi-family units last month in the Winnipeg Census Metropolitan Area (CMS), which includes Winnipeg and 10 neighbouring municipalities.

That was a drop of 6.1 per cent from the 555 starts recorded in April of last year, and followed declines of 19 per cent in January, 10.7 per cent in February and 65.5 per cent in March.

April’s decline was concentrated on the single-family side of the market, where starts were down 30.5 per cent to 189 units from 272 a year earlier. The number of multi-family starts jumped by 17.3 per cent to 332 units from 283.

"While builders picked up production in April following a slow first quarter, softening demand due to lower employment and net migration should keep housing starts below 2013 levels moving forward," said Dianne Himbeault, CMHC’s senior market analyst for Winnipeg.

Himbeault said last month that home-construction activity was expected to be lower this year because of a build-up of unsold houses from 2013. And the unusually cold winter slowed home-buying and home-building activity even more than expected in the first three months of the year.

Nationally, CNHC said the pace of housing starts rose in April, compared with March.

The agency estimated there were 17,124 actual starts in April. Extrapolated over 12 months, that gives a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 194,809 units in April, an increase from 156,592 in March.

— Staff/Canadian Press

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Exciting changes expected for Saturday's Santa Claus parade

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Has the throne speech renewed your confidence in the provincial government?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google