Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION

Winnipeg company's wheat-based paper has lowest environmental impact: report

  • Print

Winnipeg’s Prairie Pulp & Paper Inc.’s recently launched wheat straw-based Step Forward Paper was found to have the lowest environmental impact compared to other copy paper in a new research report.

The company, co-founded by Winnipeg entrepreneur Jeff Golfman, Hollywood actor Woody Harrelson and former Manitoba provincial cabinet minister Clayton Manness, makes paper whose content is 80 per cent wheat straw with the remaining 20 per cent made of Forest Stewardship Council-certified wood fibre.

The study was done by Offsetters, a Vancouver-based carbon management solutions provider.

The research report was reviewed by an advisory panel consisting of three environmental not-for-profit organizations, four industry representatives, and Prairie Pulp & Paper, which commissioned the report.

Prairie Pulp & Paper is looking to raise $500 million to build a production facility in Manitoba.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Key of Bart: Those Damn Hipster Things

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • PHIL.HOSSACK@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Winnipeg Free Press 090528 STAND UP...(Weather) One to oversee the pecking order, a pack of pelican's fishes the eddies under the Red River control structure at Lockport Thursday morning......
  • A Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hangs out on a birch tree in St. Vital. The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker is considered a keystone species. Other species take advantage of the holes that the birds make in trees. A group of sapsuckers are collectively known as a

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Do you think it's a good idea for Theresa Oswald to enter NDP leadership race?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google