May 23, 2015


Business

Apple CEO apologizes for map app, promises improvement, touts rival

NEW YORK -- Apple CEO Tim Cook apologized Friday for the company's error-ridden new mobile mapping service, pledging to improve the application installed on tens of millions of smartphones and, in an unusual mea culpa, inviting frustrated consumers to turn to the competition.

In a letter posted online Friday, Cook said Apple "fell short" of its own expectations.

Tim Cook: 'working non-stop'

CP

Tim Cook: 'working non-stop'

"Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working nonstop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard," Cook said.

Apple released an update to its iPhone and iPad operating system last week that replaced Google Maps with Apple's own map application. But users quickly complained the new software offered fewer details, lacked public transit directions and misplaced landmarks, among other problems.

People have been flocking to social media to complain and make fun of the glitches, which include judging landscape features by their names. The hulking Madison Square Garden arena in New York, for instance, shows up as green space because of the word "garden."

Until the software is improved, Cook recommended people use competing map applications to get around -- a rare move for the world's most valuable company, which prides itself on producing industry-leading gadgets that easily surpass rivals.

Apple has made missteps in the past -- even under late founder and CEO Steve Jobs, whose perfectionism was legendary.

"I think they are clearing the air and, more importantly, clarifying why they had to do their own maps," said Tim Bajarin, a Creative Strategies analyst.

 

-- The Associated Press

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 29, 2012 B4

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Jessica B-U | @_jessbu

May 23 7:43 pm

#tablefor1201 is well underway at the Manitoba Legislative grounds. pic.twitter.com/kL104OkkDE

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 23 6:20 pm

A feast fit for 1,201 to take place at MB Legislative grounds wfp.to/RTE

Jessica B-U | @_jessbu

May 23 3:19 pm

About 30 people marched in memory of Simone Sanderson today, from Burrows and Main, down Selkirk Ave. #MMIW pic.twitter.com/TONWhOHIQo

Winnipeg Free Press | @WinnipegNews

May 23 3:18 pm

BlackBerry to lay off more employees wfp.to/RTg

Trevor Hagan | @wpgphotog

May 23 1:42 pm

Jason Graveline Pilots the @STARSambulance over #investorsgroupfield #winnipeg #starsairambulance… instagram.com/p/3CNKdYQwra/

Scroll down to load more

Top